• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Need A Bone Graft - Have a Question

L

LauraA7355

I had to have a frenectomy almost 8 years ago due to my gum being pulled away from my bottom teeth. I went to see a periodontist today about getting a gum graft due to some recession and honestly for cosmetic reasons. After examining me she said I will need a bone graft first. Which I am all for doing. I want to save my teeth & not risk losing them! But due to some other work through the year my insurance benefits have been eaten up for the year. I cant pay over 1K out of pocket for the surgery. My plan benefits renew in January. What can I do between now and then to prevent any further bone loss, asides from brushing & flossing of course. My teeth have been like this for years, as my normal dentist told me I had some bone loss that would eventually need to be addressed. So I dont think that anything will drastically change between now & January. But I want to preserve what I can as best as I can until then. Thanks

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Nothing really you can do beyond practicing good oral hygiene.

Use 2 hands when you're brushing :) one to pull your lip well down out of the way so you can see what you're doing and one to hold the brush.

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
I can't think of any patient where waiting 6 months made a difference in a periodontal gum graft
But long term:
brush and floss
get teeth professionally clean at least every 3 months
don't smoke
don't become obese

L

LauraA7355

I can't think of any patient where waiting 6 months made a difference in a periodontal gum graft
But long term:
brush and floss
get teeth professionally clean at least every 3 months
don't smoke
don't become obese
So you think I will be ok waiting that long and there not being much risk of thing getting worse? I just had a cleaning 3 weeks ago and my general dentist didnt seem too concerned about it. I went to see a periodontist on my own just because I wanted advice about doing a gum graft for cosmetic reasons, but she felt a bone graft needed to be done first. I felt like if it were something I needed to not wait on my general dentist would have mentioned it to me at my appt

L

LauraA7355

So you think I will be ok waiting that long and there not being much risk of thing getting worse? I just had a cleaning 3 weeks ago and my general dentist didnt seem too concerned about it. I went to see a periodontist on my own just because I wanted advice about doing a gum graft for cosmetic reasons, but she felt a bone graft needed to be done first. I felt like if it were something I needed to not wait on my general dentist would have mentioned it to me at my appt
Also, how rapidly does bone loss occur typically?

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
depends on the actual cause but in periodontal disease overall slow but in bursts at times