• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

need a filling but dread the dental dam

G

gerbilnut

I went for my cleaning earlier this month and found i need a filling, was hoping i wouldn't have to go back as i have added anxiety due to covid (i need to take the bus to my dentist as well) but they seem to be doing extra care to keep it cleaner and more PPE so i guess i feel okay with going, although i have an autoimmune disease so have added worry that if i get covid, i will be very sick (I i live in bc,canada where it isn't too bad but still going around) but also don't want a filling to turn into a root canal & crown, so am going despite my added worries. I just can't get used to the dental dam despite having a filling last year and have had numerous fillings, 2 root canals, 2 crowns and 3 extractions in the last 15 or so years. How can i get over it? I have them cut a hole which helps but i feel i can't swallow with it on so they have to go slower to suck up the saliva and due to sinus issues, i can't breathe through my nose as well as normal. I go next Tues. and want to try to deal with it better but know once i get there my heart will be racing and i will feel stressed and will panic. help?!

Hi Gerbilnut,

please allow me to share with you a video I made about practical advice on how to breath during dental treatment. I believe you can find some ideas for solutions.

Hi Gerbilnut,

please allow me to share with you a video I made about practical advice on how to breath during dental treatment. I believe you can find some ideas for solutions.
thanks but i'm not sure if my dentist can work like this or if this will help. I will try to explain that if i need to stop, she will if i need a break but do want to get it over with so usually i just suffer as i want it over and done with even if i can't breathe as well as i'd like to.

i want it over and done with even if i can't breathe as well as i'd like to.
Most patients who fear the dentists want to finish as quickly as possible with the difficult dental experience to shorten the stress involved. However, I truly believe it is worth rethinking that notion. In order to lessen the stress it is much better to focus on how to make the appointment a good experience (rather than a short one) and if one minute of pausing the treatment or talking with the dentist can improve your well-being during treatment it is worth investing that time.

going tomorrow, will do the best i can and will be glad when i am home again, i hope i can be brave.

Good luck today, let us know how it went! :clover::grouphug:

over and done with, went smoothly, she didn't need to use the dam as it was a side tooth so was happy to hear that, now i can carry on with my life without worrying about another visit until next spring.:)

Back