• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a dental problems forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need a gum graft...nervous

F

FranticLemming

Just got back from the dentist for the first time in 5 years. It could've gone worse but after hearing a guy moaning in pain in another room while he got his tooth extracted instead of a root canal, I'm super anxious about having to get a gum graft. My mom got one when she was 18 and she had it over 8 teeth from overbrushing. I just need it on 1 tooth and its from my gum receding just not just taking care of my teeth and my gums being bad. I've never had any invasive dental work done before anything other than an extra tooth being extracted many many years ago on the top front. I've had 1 cavity filled and that wasnt too bad but now I have to do 3 fillings but don't have a cleaning for 4 months, which will be when I get them filled. I personally can't see them, but the dentist did. All 3 are on my left upper molars. I'm trying to get everything taken care of now and take it seriously but man it's all daunting and nerve-wracking.

What happens during a gum grafting? Does it hurt? How is recovery or how long does it take to recover? My mom scared me with her story saying she was in so much pain when she had hers done. I'm assuming it's probably easier than it was 40 years ago. I got referred to a Periodontist for evaluation who I still have to call. I figure its better than losing my tooth and ignoring it for another 5 years, which both lower front teeth have some mobility according to the Dentist, but he said we will have to see if a cleaning will help tighten it up, and also said a gum graft should help that area out a lot.

Also should my cavities be fine if I wait 4 months for my cleaning? Or should I call the dentist up again and see if they can't fit me in for them to be filled earlier. They didn't say anything about scheduling a filling other than my next cleaning/first cleaning in 5 years in 4 months. Thanks. Sorry for all the questions.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
What happens during a gum grafting? Does it hurt? How is recovery or how long does it take to recover?
Depends rather on what kind of grafting is being done. Any further info?
Recovery is usually very straightforward, gums are very well vascularised and heal quickly. Most people are pretty much over it in under 2 weeks.
Also should my cavities be fine if I wait 4 months for my cleaning?
Can't tell without seeing them, sorry.

F

FranticLemming

@Gordon I currently have no further info as I haven't seen a Periodontist yet for a treatment plan. Currently shopping around for options. I don't like the place I was referred to by my dentist. Considering I can't get a cleaning for 4 months, would they clean the gum area around the site where the graft goes before treatment? Worried it might not be clean enough before the graft. Also my dentist said I have slight tooth mobility there but didn't say anything about boneloss as far as I know, he said a gum graft would help a lot to solidify that area. Would this help with some mobility? He also said we'll see if a cleaning helps tighten them back up, so I'm assuming I don't have a concerning amount of boneless and it's mostly my gums...

And one more question. I'm currently brushing twice a day, once in the morning and once at night and using floss picks every night and sometimes after a meal in the front lower teeth when I feel food stuck there. Will my gums improve with daily brushing/flossing even before my dental cleaning? As for my cavities, I personally can't see them in the back but I can feel the ache. Might just try to get in some cavity fillings before my cleaning and not wait. That dark spot on that one tooth is a cavity filling from years ago.

Attachments

• 10102222402.jpg
    10102222402.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 13
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Your questions will be better answered by the periodontist you finish up seeing, but I'll have a go.
Yes, they'd be doing a few deep cleaning sessions before going near a scalpel, you want a nice healthy foundation for the work. If you've got mobility then there must be some bone loss. But from the photo there I kind of doubt it.
Personally I'd get you in for some scaling/deep cleaning first and then worry about grafting or not. But us UK dentists are a bit more conservative than in the US.
Yes, daily brushing and flossing will certainly help maintain your gum health.