• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need a root canal and terrified!

I’m not certain about that. I believe my temp crown covered the whole tooth (upper molar). The permanent crown feels a lot more natural though.

I sure hope so. The temporary definitely feels rough. Thank goodness I only have to wait a week for the permanent crowns!

There's been a trend towards trying to preserve as much tooth structure as possible, so perhaps a full crown isn't necessary and your dentist is planning an onlay instead? Your dentist would be the best person to ask about this - they should know what they're doing ? (you could try emailing or ringing them?). As TKB1974 said, temp crowns don't feel very natural, and they don't give you a good idea of what the permanent crowns will feel like!

Yes, the assistant was showing me different shades and I wasn't sure why it mattered if it's only a temporary. I guess if it was a front tooth, that would be different. Thanks for the reassurance!

My temporary was a silver colour, and it took my dentist 10 minutes to remove it before placing the permanent one.

My two permanent crown placements are scheduled for this week. I feel some sensitivity to cold of the temporary crowned teeth, which I assume is because they don’t cover the entire tooth that’s been prepped for the crown. I also have a very tender spot on my lower jaw below the molar that has the root canal. I’m assuming this is from the injections in that area. It’s better, but persistent since crown prep three days ago. So those things are worrying me and I’ll be asking the dentist about on crown day.

Thanks for listening!

I also had sensitivity with a temporary crown - as you said, because it didn't cover/seal the tooth completely. The sensitivity went once the permanent crown went on. If you're worried, maybe you could email your dentist with your questions? I found it really helpful to have some answers before I went back in rather than worry myself silly ?

Back