• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need Advice...Bone Shaving

S

scnurse

Hi, I’ve posted before about needing to have bone shaving procedure done. It all started with #2upper last molar extraction about 7 months ago. I was left with a bony protuberance jutting outward toward my cheek. I feel this boney projection EVERY time I move my mouth. I can not chew side to side(grind) food on my right side. Also find that certain words/speech sounds like I have a lisp since all this. I’m attributing it to the bony protuberance. A couple of people on here have responded to my past post. Just wondering if anyone else has had bone shaving, guess you could call it Alveoplasty. I’m scheduled in a couple days.

Did you have local or IV sedation? I would have to pay out of pocket for IV sedation about $260 as my insurance does not pay for IV sedation with this diagnosis code. I also have option of oral medication (Ativan) about an hour before the procedure to calm me down. What was the recovery like? I believe that dissolvable stitches will be used. Don’t know how horrible this will be... but I am scared already.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Scnurse,

I"ve had an alveoplasty procedure done, and it was not bad at all. I did it with local and it was relatively a quick procedure most of the time spend on getting me numb. I had no pain at all during the procedure, and maybe one night or two of the heavy pain meds while tylenol/ibu during the day. a few days of avoiding eating in that area. I would do it again and not be scared at all. I got regular stiches , dont remember for how long. I believe you will be relieved after the procedure that it wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds or you think.

Scnurse,

I"ve had an alveoplasty procedure done, and it was not bad at all. I did it with local and it was relatively a quick procedure most of the time spend on getting me numb. I had no pain at all during the procedure, and maybe one night or two of the heavy pain meds while tylenol/ibu during the day. a few days of avoiding eating in that area. I would do it again and not be scared at all. I got regular stiches , dont remember for how long. I believe you will be relieved after the procedure that it wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds or you think.

Hi, thanks for your response. Would you say that the pain was from your gum wound (from the incision site) or from the bone being shaved down? How long before you were totally pain free, no bone tenderness? Weeks or month? I’m afraid to do it without IV sedation but don’t want the added $260. I can’t imagine a scalpel coming towards my mouth or the sensation of gum being cut!

Hi,
The postoperative pain is from the gum, not the bone. Besides, you will feel such a huge improvement that even the postoperative discomfort will be less discomfortable than the current situation you are having.
I would suggest considering no sedation. It is a short and simple dental procedure. It sounds scary in a very plastic way (shaving the bone) but it is short and easy procedures.

Hi,
The postoperative pain is from the gum, not the bone. Besides, you will feel such a huge improvement that even the postoperative discomfort will be less discomfortable than the current situation you are having.
I would suggest considering no sedation. It is a short and simple dental procedure. It sounds scary in a very plastic way (shaving the bone) but it is short and easy procedures.

Hi Dr. Daniel, thanks for posting a reply. Here are some photos of the area for your review. It has been a rough 7 months since I had the molar removed and was left with this bone protuberance. I have lost 32 pounds due to not being able to grind food side to side and the mental stress of this. Probably will not have IV sedation, maybe only the oral medication. I am so anxious already. I don’t think I can just leave this bony protuberance there and live with it like this.

Attachments

• FBD9821A-1CCF-4455-81B1-7B86444385BA.jpeg
    FBD9821A-1CCF-4455-81B1-7B86444385BA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 4D0B3870-E031-4163-831F-1DFF9672A407.jpeg
    4D0B3870-E031-4163-831F-1DFF9672A407.jpeg
    997.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi,

100% agree! Yes, the pain was from fresh wound type pain and to me. I was very surprised how short it was , I even said "really? its done? the dentist nearly had to kick me out of the chair I could hardly believe it. I would say total wound discomfort for me was less than 2 weeks and that is not intense pain. just the first 2-3 days more pain, but not unbearable, just sensitive.

100% agree! Yes, the pain was from fresh wound type pain and to me. I was very surprised how short it was , I even said "really? its done? the dentist nearly had to kick me out of the chair I could hardly believe it. I would say total wound discomfort for me was less than 2 weeks and that is not intense pain. just the first 2-3 days more pain, but not unbearable, just sensitive.

Hi krlovedherkids, thanks for your replies. Did you see the photos I posted for Dr. Daniel? Was your boney protuberance like this? It’s not a small sliver of bone. I’m so worried and anxious about this already. I have to call the OS office this morning and let them know my decision for sedation if any. They just told me yesterday that IV will NOT be covered w/ insurance. Could you feel the dentist doing the stitches? I’m guessing you just closed your eyes and didn’t watch the scalpel or needles coming towards you. Mine is so high up on my gum, he will really have to stretch my mouth/lips to get to it.

Scnurse..

Yes, it was maybe bigger.. like thicker. and it looked scary and was very annoying to me.. My tongue couldn't stay away , it bugged me so much . I was trying to see if I had a pic to show you too . stlll looking to see if I kept it. but it really was scary before the procedure. I totally understand being scared I was really scared too.. I did not feel anything.. was so numb. I felt like sensations against the tooth but it was numb sensations like when felt like buffed or something one of the final steps. Now , my dentist was a total master of distraction , and talked and joked to distract me, and he was a funny guy. so that really helped.. but the fact I just didn't remember much is a good thing. with the stiches I knew he was doing it but didn't feel it per say. I did close my eyes for some parts of it. It wasn't near as bad as I expected it to be. I really hope you have a simliar experience as I did!!

Hi Dr. Daniel, thanks for posting a reply. Here are some photos of the area for your review. It has been a rough 7 months since I had the molar removed and was left with this bone protuberance. I have lost 32 pounds due to not being able to grind food side to side and the mental stress of this. Probably will not have IV sedation, maybe only the oral medication. I am so anxious already. I don’t think I can just leave this bony protuberance there and live with it like this.
I suggest not deciding in advance whether to take the tranquilizers. Keep the pill in your pocket, use it only if it is needed.

Back