• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

need advice on slight pain from crowned tooth

D

dental_fear

Hi,

I recently had two crowns placed on my two lower left molars and had a couple of questions about how things have been going with them.

Most of the time they feel totally fine although the furthest back one felt a bit high at first but I assume that is because the tooth that was crowned was broken and thus was not making contact with the tooth above and now the crown does. It does not seem to have changed my bite as all my teeth seem to come together correctly when i close my mouth.

My questions have to do with the fact that every once in a while i get a bit of pain from one of the teeth with the new crowns. It usually only lasts a very short time and if i take the smallest amount of tylenol (1, 500mg capsule) it goes totally away within 15 minutes of taking the medicine.

My questions are as follows:

1)   could this just be part of the normal healing process for the tooth after it went through the trauma of the crowning procedure?

2)   Should i give this a bit more time to see what happens before panicking over it? The thought of a root can kind of freaks me out a bit.

3)    Does this sound like symptoms that point to the tooth needing to be root canaled or would that involve more pain that this?

4) Could it be that the crown is too high and thus is causing the tooth to get irritated?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Questions 1, 2 and 4. Yes.
Question 3, No, yes.

I do like the chance to save on typing :)

Back