• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Need advice/potential tooth abscess

S

sophiefigueira

I keep getting a recurring bump on my gum. I should say that because of teeth decay (I have agoraphobia with panic attacks and scared of the dentist) I can only eat on this side.

IMG_20201211_002842.jpg

This bump seems to keep happening after eating hard, pointy food. The bump isn't really painful, it's more causing discomfort when touched. It keeps going away but it's easily triggered. I can't take too much anti-inflammatories because I'm on anti-depressants but I salt water whenever I first notice it and a few times throughout the days after.

I consulted Reddit and was told it was an abscess.

I'm a hypochondriac so just need a bit of advice and reassurance.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
What else do you want to know?
Yes it's an abscess, it's coming from the decayed root just in shot.

S

sophiefigueira

What else do you want to know?
Yes it's an abscess, it's coming from the decayed root just in shot.
How urgently does it need to be treated? I am terrified of ringing a dentist as I have a fear of phonecalls so I'm trying to build myself the courage. Is the salt water rinses I'm doing (2-3 times a day) enough to keep anything serious away while I try and get the nerve to phone?

K

Katie7730

How urgently does it need to be treated? I am terrified of ringing a dentist as I have a fear of phonecalls so I'm trying to build myself the courage. Is the salt water rinses I'm doing (2-3 times a day) enough to keep anything serious away while I try and get the nerve to phone?
Hi I know what you mean about calling. Could you maybe email your dentist office instead?

S

sophiefigueira

Hi I know what you mean about calling. Could you maybe email your dentist office instead?
I actually don't have a dentist but I have emailed a few but none of them are really getting back to me.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, do you have a GP?

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
They may be able to refer you to the community dental service (CDS), depending on where you live. In most areas of the UK, the CDS offers services for people with dental phobia or agoraphobia, but not everywhere. And also depending on where you live, there may be a long waiting list. But it might be worth a try? We've got some more info here:

K

Katie7730

I actually don't have a dentist but I have emailed a few but none of them are really getting back to me.
where abouts are you?
Would you be able to afford to go to a private dentist or are you looking for NHS?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It's not worth doing the salt water rinses more than once a day. The abscess is happily draining out through your gum, so while it's in balance like this it'll be OK for a while.

As always, there's no way of knowing how long it'll stay in this condition. Teeth being the awkward little beggars that they are, it'll probably flare up about 15 minutes before you're going to do something important...