• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hypochondriac - panicking myself stupid right now

S

sophiefigueira

A few months ago, my tooth broke.

At first it wasn't a problem to chew on or anything until the last couple of months but again, I just avoided and ignored until a couple of weeks ago, I ate a mince pie that properly impaled into the area. It bleeds a little at night, unless I fiddle with it with something small (to which it will bleed more) and it throbs a lot too. Especially when bending down.

Since then it's been a complete pain. The problem is, I have really bad hypochondria and no matter what I try and convince myself that it's probably nothing too bad, I can't seem to stop looking at it.

It's very hard to explain what it looks like, so it's probably best to just attach a picture instead. These were taken using a. Magnifying app on my phone and I've tried to pick out the best one.

Any advice or piece of mind expertise would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• picture_2019_11_25_4_50_8_27.jpg
    picture_2019_11_25_4_50_8_27.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
Since then it's been a complete pain. The problem is, I have really bad hypochondria and no matter what I try and convince myself that it's probably nothing too bad, I can't seem to stop looking at it.

Hi sophiefigueira,

you are most likely used to noticing small meaningless things and worrying it is something bad, however this tooth is in fact something that needs treatment rather than something that can be ignored as "just my hypochondria". May I ask you where are you at when it comes to the idea of seeing a dentist?

All the best wishes

I suffer from terrible health anxiety, so I really empathise! It can be hard to figure out when something is "real" and when something is "just in your head".

I think in the case of a broken tooth, particularly one which is causing you pain, it needs attention from a dentist, as a matter of urgency. Hopefully the dentist will be able to resolve things easily for you, but a broken tooth left untreated is not going to go away on its own, and might end up getting worse.

Hello, I can completely sympathise with your situation as I am going through something similar myself. my tooth also broke a few months ago ( think its the same tooth as yours) and I am so terrified of the dentist that i haven't even had it fixed yet. I am constantly worried about it incase it gets infected etc and cannot chew on that side. I have attached a picture to show you how it looks. I would say it is worse than yours as it has turned black and is rotting. I also have health anxiety so this is not easy

Attachments

• Photo on 27-11-2019 at 10.39.jpg
    Photo on 27-11-2019 at 10.39.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 13
I keep getting a recurring bump on my gum. I should say that because of teeth decay (I have agoraphobia with panic attacks and scared of the dentist) I can only eat on this side.

IMG_20201211_002842.jpg

This bump seems to keep happening after eating hard, pointy food. The bump isn't really painful, it's more causing discomfort when touched. It keeps going away but it's easily triggered. I can't take too much anti-inflammatories because I'm on anti-depressants but I salt water whenever I first notice it and a few times throughout the days after.

I consulted Reddit and was told it was an abscess.

I'm a hypochondriac so just need a bit of advice and reassurance.

What else do you want to know?
Yes it's an abscess, it's coming from the decayed root just in shot.

What else do you want to know?
Yes it's an abscess, it's coming from the decayed root just in shot.

How urgently does it need to be treated? I am terrified of ringing a dentist as I have a fear of phonecalls so I'm trying to build myself the courage. Is the salt water rinses I'm doing (2-3 times a day) enough to keep anything serious away while I try and get the nerve to phone?

How urgently does it need to be treated? I am terrified of ringing a dentist as I have a fear of phonecalls so I'm trying to build myself the courage. Is the salt water rinses I'm doing (2-3 times a day) enough to keep anything serious away while I try and get the nerve to phone?

Hi I know what you mean about calling. Could you maybe email your dentist office instead?

Hi I know what you mean about calling. Could you maybe email your dentist office instead?

I actually don't have a dentist but I have emailed a few but none of them are really getting back to me.

Hi, do you have a GP?

They may be able to refer you to the community dental service (CDS), depending on where you live. In most areas of the UK, the CDS offers services for people with dental phobia or agoraphobia, but not everywhere. And also depending on where you live, there may be a long waiting list. But it might be worth a try? We've got some more info here:

I actually don't have a dentist but I have emailed a few but none of them are really getting back to me.

where abouts are you?
Would you be able to afford to go to a private dentist or are you looking for NHS?

It's not worth doing the salt water rinses more than once a day. The abscess is happily draining out through your gum, so while it's in balance like this it'll be OK for a while.

As always, there's no way of knowing how long it'll stay in this condition. Teeth being the awkward little beggars that they are, it'll probably flare up about 15 minutes before you're going to do something important...

IMG_20210823_212839.jpg
My gum suddenly started swelling today.

It's a sore, uncomfortable feeling but not really painful.

Someone replied on a Reddit I posted on saying it was a large infection and just want a second opinion from here. I haven't been to the dentist since I was a child (I'm 26 now). I have health anxiety and I'm worried what this could turn into but the thought of a dentist terrifies me

I have a broken tooth (due to previous poor dental hygiene) but it's been like that for a few years now and it's never had this. It's not leaking anything or have a head of any kind. It doesn't feel particularly hard or soft though doesn't feel like it's filled with fluid either.

Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Sadly the person on Reddit is right. It looks a little too far gone for DIY measures. Have you seen this guide on dealing with a fear of the dentist:

I have really bad panic attacks and agoraphobia which makes a trip to the dentist near impossible at the moment.

Is it likely to go away on its own? Or is it likely to cause anything serious?

Is it likely to go away on its own? Or is it likely to cause anything serious?

I see how you wish us to tell you not to worry or to find a remedy that doesn‘t involve seeing a dentist, but sadly, it can only be fixed by a dentist. I know that‘s bad news and not what you would like to read :(
Are you getting any help with your agoraphobia and panic attacks?

I see how you wish us to tell you not to worry or to find a remedy that doesn‘t involve seeing a dentist, but sadly, it can only be fixed by a dentist. I know that‘s bad news and not what you would like to read :(
Are you getting any help with your agoraphobia and panic attacks?

I'm on medication but it's not much of a fix. I'm hoping to get therapy again soon but that might take a while as I need to be reassessed for it.

I totally understand that it seems that only a dentist can fix it. I just don't want to get dangerously ill or anything.

I remember a patient in the practice I worked at, she has been housebound for one year due to her agoraphobia and panic disorder. She said it was so unbearable that nobody could imagine and that even once you are recovered, you can't imagine anymore how bad it was as you had it. She had been preparing with a therapist for about half a year to tackle her dental fear and was finally able to see a dentist. It was lovely to see that but also made me think of how awful mental suffering can be. I know these things don't change over night, but really hope that you will be able to get help soon. Not just to get your teeth fixed and be able to live without pain and eat properly, but for all the other things that are currently difficult.
Not sure what dangerously ill means, but it looks like Gordon replied some time ago about how long it can stay like that.

Back