• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need apicoectomy apparently. Terrified of this procedure.

M

Montos

I had a root canal done on my central incisor about a year ago and a carbon fibre post was installed to provide some length to the tooth. Prior to this, I had broken my crown and the tooth underneath and the remaining structure could not support a crown (it kept falling off every month or two).
Well I wasn't crazy about root canaling a healthy tooth and, sure enough, a year later I have an infection and fistula. To antibiotics and it got better but the endodontist says I need an apicoectomy because he can't remove a carbon fibre post (if it were metal, no problem).

Questions:
1) Can the tooth be retreated endodontically (I'm considering a second opinon)
2) is it worth doing the apicoectomy? Or should I look t an implant? Which is less invasive? Better long term results? I'm 41 so it has to last a while.

Thanks,

Monty

Hi,
There is no harm in hearing a second opinion. On the other hand, if an endodontist says the post is difficult to remove it is better not to do it.
An apexsectomy is better than an implant especially in the front part of the mouth espcially because it is a challenge to achieve an esthetic shape of the gums next to an implant.
In short, your endodontist's advise sounds good to me...

Back