• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need encouragement

M

mr_Ihatemymouth

Hi folks

Im terrified of going to the dentist, and have not been for years, at the moment i`m suffering with  toothache,  which at present i`m just about controlling by using pain killers, but I know I cant continue like this.

Today  I plucked up the courage to  ring a dentist, I rang one which  was advertised as  good for nervous patients. Whilst speaking to the receptionist I was a nervous wreck,  the receptionist was really nice and understanding, she talked to me a lot about how dentistry has really moved on etc , to be honest , the call could not have been any better,  but I still chickened out of making an appointment.

I really  really want to  go  and get my teeth sorted, but when it comes to the crunch  I just can`t do it,  tonight on the way home from work , I parked up outside the dentists for a minute just to try and stay calm, but I couldnt, I got really upset,  and this is when  the place was closed.

I dont think I need a kick up the ass, as with my type of personality that would not work . I need some encouragement, I have friends etc, and they know about my fear, and they do try with me, but they really dont understand the issue, and to be honest their of no help. I already know all the logical reasons and arguements for going to the dentist,  but phobias are not about being logical.

I feel that on this forum there will be people out there who can relate to me.

Please help

Thanks

Well done for calling, that must have taken you lots of courage and it´s brilliant that you managed to do that :)! What´s more, you even managed to go and sit outside the place. Yes, you got upset, but that is to be expected :).

It sounds as if you´re making really good progress - fair play to you :cheers:!

Hi & :welcome: It sounds like you are making progress, even though it may not feel that way. Instead of thinking of tackeling your phobia all at once, think of it in baby steps. You have already taken two baby steps toward your goal :jump: :jump:

First I would sit down and make a list of the fears you have. Then, when you feel up to it, call that dentist office again and ask if they have an email address. Many people find that making original contact with the dentist via email is much easier. If you feel comfortable with them, see if you could schedule a "chat only" visit. At that visit you could go over the list of fears and concerns you have compiled without the pressure of worrying about any type of treatment. If at that point you feel comfortable with the dentist, you could schedule an appointment, if not, you can look elsewhere. Remember it is your mouth and you are in charge. Most people find that once they have found a dentist that treats them with compassion and respects the fears, they can start to deal with thier phobia.

Good Luck and Keep us posted :)

Hi Mr. and  :welcome:,

Lets & Freakout hit the nail on the head.  You deserve major kudos for taking the two steps that you did.  I was a mess writing an e-mail to a dental office and then lost it even more after hitting "send."  Making a phone call and then actually visiting the office, even if it was closed, is still huge.  Being upset is understandable when you are facing something that is frightening to you so you shouldn't let that hold you back.  I've cried every time I just say hi to the receptionist and the only time I didn't was my very last visit when I had no appt. and was just dropping off a thank you note and pie.  Even so, my stomach was in knots but I held it together and felt pleased that I was able to go in there when I didn't even have to.  Most of us on this board can completely understand the feelings you are having and you are definitely not alone.

It's as though you were me back in July.  I knew I needed to go, I wanted to go and I had friends to support me but I was so scared that I didn't ever think I'd be able to do it.  I had a very long absence from anything dental related and that didn't help me any.  This board and all the wonderful posters helped me to gain the courage to send that initial e-mail and it was all downhill from there.  Through each and every visit they offered me encouragement and support and it was enough to keep me going.  I'm not due back until my 3 month check-up in February but I still keep up with this site to help me work through my continuing (though less) fears as well as to, hopefully, offer support to others.  Keep browsing the stories and continue a dialogue with others that share your fears and your hopes of getting things sorted out.  Together we can all post positive success stories!!   :)

You can do it and you sound as though you have the determination to get that toothache taken care of.  Please let us know how things are going!!

Take care,
Pam

hey man, that fear you got, is natural. I dont think anyone likes going to the dentist, even dentist themselves. But, if your in pain, you gota go sooner or later, and the sooner the better. Thats not ment though to force you to go! i mean, you made the call and checked out the place. Very well done! Just think how you will feel the moment you step outside the dentist office on your way out. You will be able to say to yourself, i survived, (which is gurenteed) and i faced my fear and came out ahead.

congrats for even phoning..i couldnt have even done that...at the moment im trying to thin ahead....to when i finaally have my teeth done and how 30 yrs of torture,depression and sadness, the lows and the missed social events will be history and i can laugh and smile without worrying about my horrid teeth...it will be such a weight lifted...thats what inspires me anyhow...best of luck..