• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need extensive work done.. are dentures really this bad?

M

moonbunny

I'm going to the dentist as soon as I can manage it, because I can't put it off any longer. But money is a very very extreme issue (plus being terrified) and I was thinking maybe dentures would be my best choice (or my only choice depending on what they decide after examining me). But then I came across some articles about how bad dentures are compared to real teeth and now I'm terrified of ever having dentures!

Any advice on other options I might possibly have is welcome... I'm feeling really scared, frustrated, clueless, and confused...

Last edited:
Hey!

I'm not a dentist, but I'm around your age (29) and I'm trying my hardest to be able to save my teeth. I can imagine the financial aspect might hurt, but perhaps you can space things out.

That said I've read a bunch of wonderful stories on here of people who have gotten dentures and some are very happy with them. It seems they're an adjustment and that varies.

I understand being terrified, believe me, but once you start it gets easier (I think). Hang in there, and feel free to send me a message if you need to chat.

Thank you for the reply !

It's mostly all that stuff on that website about bone loss and your face practically collapsing or falling or whatever that has me so terrified. My Dad has dentures and I don't think his face changed so awfully much.. but then again he's always worn a full beard. I just don't know. :(

Whoa, I hadn't heard about that. So you think you're going to go the denture route then? It seems dentistry has come such a long way from when even we were little, that even if you think your teeth are past the point of being saved they're really not!

Well, I won't know until I can actually be looked over. But dentures seems to be the cheapest option for me as far as I know.. Even with a payment plan, I don't think I could afford crowns, root canals, or whatever else to fix 11+ teeth.

To restate my original question and address my terror -

Can anyone tell me if dentures are really such a bad choice ? Is my face really going to change so drastically ? What about the bone loss ? If I'm 28 will I be having a ton of problems with my jaw or whatever by 40 or earlier ?

I had my top teeth extracted yesterday and immediate dentures put in but i had no choice i had to go through with it, yes i also read those websites and yes they did scare the pants of me but at least i know what to expect, until you go see a dentist and find out what they can do and have a chat with them tell them your situ they might come up with an alternative plan
sandy x

As brittany said, don't jump to any conclusions until you see a dentist, we all think the worst. If your teeth are savable work out a plan to get the most immediate problems fixed- teeth that hurt or are infected first and then work on the others over time. I had a mess of a mouth and it is almost two years now since I went to the dentist after a long absence. We are still plugging away.

Dentistry has done some amazing things. Step one- find a dentist you feel you can trust that will work with you on a treatment plan and give you options. . You are trying to make an extreme decision based on fear alone that puts you in the worst case scenario.

rp

RP is so right on this one. I (only recently and thanks to the 'dental phobia' course of emails that you can get via this site) finally found a dentist and was expecting the very worst when I got the first check up in a long time. I was totally amazed when she said the teeth I thought were so far gone she could repair - and she has repaired them too! But like you i checked out every website possible and had convinced myself that the prognosis was sooooo bad it was 'all out' and no hope.

It's not easy taking the first move (it took me five weeks to phone after my problems started - and then I put the phone down before anyone answered the first two times), but eventually I got there and so far the initial phone call has been the most difficult thing I've done.

Find a dentist who can deal with your fear (they are out there) and talk it over with them and alway remember at the end of the day ... ' it's YOUR mouth' and your decision.

Hope it all works out for you:)

Thank you all, that's encouraging ! :)

Back