• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need feedbacks encouragement

T

The unknown

I haven't been to the dental for more than ten years. My teeth are in very bad shape. Most upper teeth are very bad and needs to come out. Bottom molar was in pain so dentist recommends tooth to come out first. I don't have all the money and my dental insurance annual limit is 1,500. All these extractions won't be cover. There is a no cost health fair that they will do extractions for free at the community college where I'm from. Should I tell my dentist that I'm going there just to get extractions? Or should I just stick to my dentist and let her do the extractions herself. I want to go and take advantage of the free service but I don't know how to tell my dentist. If I go for the free dental service. I will need to see my dentist for dentures and other major dental works. What should I do?

Hi there,

first of all very well done on having made the first step and seeing a dentist! It's a shame that dental work can be so expensive, but it's good to read that there is a possibility for you to get the needed treatment for free.
If might be a good idea to talk to your dentist openly about this. She is surely used to the fact that dealing with cost is a huge topic for the most people and she will appreciate your honesty. It is also better for you to get the treatment for free than to do nothing and let it all get worse so your decision is a wise one. Having a chat about this will also make you be able to go back and then stick with your dentist for the rest of the work and the future check-ups.

All the best wishes and keep us posted.

Just to give a slightly different perspective, personally, I think it depends on how comfortable you will feel with different care providers. For me, the relationship I have with my dentist is really important - when I have had to see someone else in the surgery because of holidays it’s made me more anxious, and I was really worried about seeing an endodontist for root canals. (Even though my dentist recommended him and he was absolutely lovely.) So, for me, continuity of care would be the most important thing if I could afford it. I would also want to be completely clear what the follow up provision would be ref the community thing. (What if you have questions, what if there are complications?)

Good luck with whatever you decide.