• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

need help fast

S

shellyscared

im 14 year old girl with aspergers that hates that the denstist as soon as me mm says u need to go t the dentist i shout i'm not goin over and over again. i didn't brushed my teeth for ages :shame: because my dad was the only one who would remind mehe does not lie here any more but i cant keep bruh them everyday i tried but forget i been to a dentist who say open up and show me a gaint needle and i kick him scream cried and then me and mum left. then my toothache got so bad i was at school and i was sent home put mum ould not pik me up so i had to go to emerency dentist later they would great the gell work i was scared as hell but they were practied. they told me about comuntiy dentist so i went they were nice i ok if they no pain beause i had it done before so i know what its like but when i get pain we did it slower n=theen before but sadly :( there have shut it was preaty round down. i now have a terrible toothaache on the whole of one side i takeing paracetomol but it wont go away for every what should i do:confused: i wont to get the pain away but im not going to thee dentist because im scared but i do no there the only ho can fixed it :hidesbehindsofa:

Hi Hunny.
First of all beacuse you have had a bad experience with other dentist its going to make you scared. Not all of them are bad dentists and maybe you and your Mum could find one who will be nice to you.
I had the gel too and it makes its a bit easier. I was very scared when i went to dentist i kept getting toothache and i let it go on for years. its horrible to be in pain all the time when it can be fixed.

Speak to your Mum and ask if she can ask about and find a nice dentist who will understand your worried.

What part of the world are you from?

Nikki :grouphug:

thanks im from the uk

There is no need to even see the syringe...a considerate dentist suggests you look at the ceiling and brings it in under your line of sight. Ask for numbing gel (topical) to be applied and left for at least 2-3 minutes; and to make it comfortable the dentist needs to release the fluid slowly as per this link:

If you freak out, they are likely to try to get through it quickly which would make it painful with a stinging effect..this can be avoided though with correct technique.

Good luck in finding a dentist who makes you feel more comfortable than in the past. You are old enough to choose your own dentist although you may be restricted by which NHS practices are willing to take you on as a new patient.
With AS, you may also be entitled to use the Community Dental Service in your area:

which would be an extremely good way of finding a dentist with the time and experience to provide care tailored to your needs, and likes and dislikes. A CDS dentist is highly likely to have routinely painfree injection technique as it would be very hard to do their job without it.

There will also be some emergency care provision in your area which you may wish to enquire about in advance, in case it all gets too much over Christmas.

Back