• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need lots of work... All a bit overwhelming

G

GreenTea

After 15 years I finally summoned up the courage to go to the dentists. I chose a good one with lots of kind reviews online. Last week he extracted two teeth under IV sedation and I coped better than I thought I would. I now need two sessions of deep clean, a crown, a few fillings and then in the New Year will look into implants for the two gaps.... It all feels like such a lot (and expensive too). I really want to stick with it (and will have IV sedation for everything!). But I'm feeling so overwhelmed. Has anyone else been through this and can offer support or advice? Thanks in advance

Really well done for getting through the extractions! Those are generally the hardest, in my experience. I'm glad IV sedation helped. Congratulate yourself. We all know how hard it is to go to the dentist after many years of not going.

I know the feeling when you're starting a fairly long course of treatment. It can be overwhelming, and you just want it over with already. But remember, you're in the process of doing something really positive! Think how relieved you'll be once the problems are addressed. Keep that end goal in mind.

Just take it as it comes for now. Deal with each appointment as it comes up, one by one. Don't focus on how much there still needs to be done. Just get through each treatment, and then before you know it, you'll be through it, with a healthy mouth. And you'll feel great.

:hug4:

Thanks Sevena - your kind words have helped a lot! I'll just take each step as it comes and focus on the positive. I do feel that a huge weight has been lifted just by starting this process.

Back