• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need Root Canal - Problem Swallowing

O

oldilliani1

I need a root canal job and until recently never realized I had a problem as I haven't had need of dental work for several years. I found after going to an Endodontist (more than one actually) that I cannot follow through with their procedure - laying way back, using a rubber dam and all the apparatus that goes along with securing the tooth to be worked on. I CANNOT SWALLOW. I gave it more than one try to see if I could even get used to it --- no success. The only other alternative was to have take a sedative to relax me and help with anxiety. I don't feel I can do this either as I have severe sleep apnea and afraid my throat would relax too much thus giving me problems and not knowing how 'out of it' I'd be. I don't have a problem with the root canal job itself, I had one years ago before all this new techniques and it went fine. There wasn't a rubber dam or extra stuff in the mouth to hinder swallowing. I can go through a dental filling process just fine. Thinking of tooth extraction and maybe an implant, but lot to be concerned with all that. I just which a dentist could do my root canal without the dam and extra stuff, just let me swallow and get this process over with. Hate to have a tooth pulled if I really don't need to but I may not have an alternative as it gets worse to deal with. I am between a rock and a hard place of what to do. Thanks for listening.

A sedative won't cause any big issues with your breathing. alternatively nitrous sedation would help.

If the swallowing is the main issue, perhaps using a saliva ejector might help? That way, you won't get any saliva pooling in your throat and you may not feel the need to swallow.

There's some more info here:

I cannot perform the swallow process with the brace around that tooth and spacer in and lying down after tooth being frozen. I've tried it several times.

I think most people find it difficult or impossible to swallow with their mouth open. The idea behind the saliva ejector is that it removes the saliva so there's no need to swallow. A bit like while we're asleep - there's very little saliva produced while we're asleep, which means there's no need to swallow.

Admittedly, that doesn't deal with the psychological feeling of wanting to swallow.

Thank you for your comments.

oldilliani1, reading your post it seems to me that the thing you really struggle with is the rubber dam and it looks like you just wished your dentist to perform a root canal treatment in the way you had it years ago. It must be pretty frustrating even trying to cope with it and not being able to.

You mentioned not being able to follow through with "their procedure" ("them" being several endodontists). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you haven't been given much of control during the treatment.

Looking at the options you have, you could get the tooth out and get an implant as you mentioned (which sounds pretty expensive and very invasive), getting sedation - there are many kinds of them (you said you were afraid about your sleep apnea and Gordon replied that this won't be a problem, but you haven't mentioned whether that reassurance is enough for you to give that route a go), asking the dentist to allow you to hold the saliva suction that you could use to keep your mouth dry, as letsconnect suggested.

My thought was - and reading about your strong aversion towards rubber dam, I'm a bit hesitant to mention it not to upset you, but will give it a go - that maybe becoming a chance to get used to the rubber dam may help you get a sense of control. I was wondering whether you were offered a stop signal, breaks or anything else to feel comfortable.

Many people struggle with the rubber dam (and I needed few visits to being able to even cope with having it on) and it really feels like a barrier, but in theory, you should be able to close your mouth a bit with it which could make the swallowing easier. I know the feeling of resistance that the thing causes and as I tried to close I gave up, but on the other hand I didn't try too much and I trust my dentist saying it is possible. Also, your dentist should be able to remove it pretty quickly whenever you feel the need to and a nervous patient friendly dentist will be willing to do so. Sitting up and taking a break whenever you feel uncomfortable lying, should be possible too. You mentioned a spacer that also makes it difficult for you to swallow. I was wondering what you mean by that - is that the block you bite on to relax your jaw? Because if so, then this part is to help you if you like so and it should be fine to refuse to take it.

All those things would require a dentist that is willing to help you and who you can communicate with clearly. It may take a bit of research and contact with practices to find someone, but given how much this is bothering you, it may be worth of trying. If you are open to it, of course. If you are not, then feel free to forget everything I said :)

Last but not least, however annoying rubber dam is, it enhances the success rate of your root canal treatment and decreases the chances of losing the tooth because of bacteria getting in during the procedure. That's one of the reason why in the most countries, rubber dam is obligatory and the dentist has to use it.

This is super long, but I felt the urge to asdress this point too, mostly because I had been a rubber dam hater myself for a long time.

Hope you find a way to get the root canal treatment, in whatever way it will be.

I'm in a similar position to yourself. Been told I need a root canal but cannot face the procedure in order to get one. My problem is keeping my mouth open for long periods of time without being allowed to close it and take a break. I've had two teeth pulled because I could not face it. However, facing the prospect of losing another tooth is going to cause me problems with eating and I could be looking at a partial denture. Unlike yourself I haven't even attempted a root canal but I really don't think I would tolerate the dam and also think I would have problems swallowing. They never used to do root canals this way and the dam really does seem to be stopping a lot of people getting work done that they need. I have a friend in the US whose dentist does not use the dam so I believe there are dentists there that would possibly do the procedure for you. Here in the UK I believe it's essential to the use the dam and I would not find a dentist willing to dispense with it. I am terrified that I will damage my jaw if I have to have it wide open for a long period of time. I have TMJ and I just know it will cause me a problem and might leave me not being able to close or open my mouth, or worsen my TMJ leaving me in a lot of pain. Sorry to pile in with my problems on your post but you are not alone in this predicament. If this is your first tooth that you are considering extracting then I would have it pulled. You really won't miss one tooth and you absolutely do not have to replace one tooth with an implant, if it's a tooth that is not visible. I have three missing now and don't have a problem. But it would be nice to find a dentist who could accommodate me and find a way of doing the RCT that doesn't cause me pain and distress. Hope you find a dentist to help you but if not then one tooth is no big loss. Good luck.

oldilliani1, reading your post it seems to me that the thing you really struggle with is the rubber dam and it looks like you just wished your dentist to perform a root canal treatment in the way you had it years ago. It must be pretty frustrating even trying to cope with it and not being able to.

You mentioned not being able to follow through with "their procedure" ("them" being several endodontists). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you haven't been given much of control during the treatment.

Looking at the options you have, you could get the tooth out and get an implant as you mentioned (which sounds pretty expensive and very invasive), getting sedation - there are many kinds of them (you said you were afraid about your sleep apnea and Gordon replied that this won't be a problem, but you haven't mentioned whether that reassurance is enough for you to give that route a go), asking the dentist to allow you to hold the saliva suction that you could use to keep your mouth dry, as letsconnect suggested.

My thought was - and reading about your strong aversion towards rubber dam, I'm a bit hesitant to mention it not to upset you, but will give it a go - that maybe becoming a chance to get used to the rubber dam may help you get a sense of control. I was wondering whether you were offered a stop signal, breaks or anything else to feel comfortable.

Many people struggle with the rubber dam (and I needed few visits to being able to even cope with having it on) and it really feels like a barrier, but in theory, you should be able to close your mouth a bit with it which could make the swallowing easier. I know the feeling of resistance that the thing causes and as I tried to close I gave up, but on the other hand I didn't try too much and I trust my dentist saying it is possible. Also, your dentist should be able to remove it pretty quickly whenever you feel the need to and a nervous patient friendly dentist will be willing to do so. Sitting up and taking a break whenever you feel uncomfortable lying, should be possible too. You mentioned a spacer that also makes it difficult for you to swallow. I was wondering what you mean by that - is that the block you bite on to relax your jaw? Because if so, then this part is to help you if you like so and it should be fine to refuse to take it.

All those things would require a dentist that is willing to help you and who you can communicate with clearly. It may take a bit of research and contact with practices to find someone, but given how much this is bothering you, it may be worth of trying. If you are open to it, of course. If you are not, then feel free to forget everything I said :)

Last but not least, however annoying rubber dam is, it enhances the success rate of your root canal treatment and decreases the chances of losing the tooth because of bacteria getting in during the procedure. That's one of the reason why in the most countries, rubber dam is obligatory and the dentist has to use it.

This is super long, but I felt the urge to asdress this point too, mostly because I had been a rubber dam hater myself for a long time.

Hope you find a way to get the root canal treatment, in whatever way it will be.

Thank you for your comments and concern, it is appreciated. My dentist has been very patient and I will be discussing with him further and plan to consult with my s.a. doctor as well.

I'm in a similar position to yourself. Been told I need a root canal but cannot face the procedure in order to get one. My problem is keeping my mouth open for long periods of time without being allowed to close it and take a break. I've had two teeth pulled because I could not face it. However, facing the prospect of losing another tooth is going to cause me problems with eating and I could be looking at a partial denture. Unlike yourself I haven't even attempted a root canal but I really don't think I would tolerate the dam and also think I would have problems swallowing. They never used to do root canals this way and the dam really does seem to be stopping a lot of people getting work done that they need. I have a friend in the US whose dentist does not use the dam so I believe there are dentists there that would possibly do the procedure for you. Here in the UK I believe it's essential to the use the dam and I would not find a dentist willing to dispense with it. I am terrified that I will damage my jaw if I have to have it wide open for a long period of time. I have TMJ and I just know it will cause me a problem and might leave me not being able to close or open my mouth, or worsen my TMJ leaving me in a lot of pain. Sorry to pile in with my problems on your post but you are not alone in this predicament. If this is your first tooth that you are considering extracting then I would have it pulled. You really won't miss one tooth and you absolutely do not have to replace one tooth with an implant, if it's a tooth that is not visible. I have three missing now and don't have a problem. But it would be nice to find a dentist who could accommodate me and find a way of doing the RCT that doesn't cause me pain and distress. Hope you find a dentist to help you but if not then one tooth is no big loss. Good luck.

Thank you for your concern and understanding. I wish you much success in getting your situation resolved too.

My dentist has been very patient and I will be discussing with him further and plan to consult with my s.a. doctor as well.

That sounds like a plan - a sedative may well be the way forward. Let us know what your sleep apnea doctor says :)

Back