• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need some advice... losing faith in my dentist.

• Thread starter Deleted member 10402
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10402

Former Member
I've recently undergone a lot of dental work. I suffered from anxiety so severe that I didn't see a dentist from 1998 until this year, February 2012.

I needed a lot of work, and in total I had 14 fillings, a back bottom tooth yanked and my 5 top teeth removed (both central incisors, both lateral incisors and my right cuspid).

The temporary appliance is loose, and has never fit right. The dentist had to shave the clip off on the (my) right side. Before that, I could not bite down on it at all, it was so ill-fitting. I was actually biting the appliance instead.

I also had constant pain in my jaw. I went back and the first time he told me it was my nerves. The second time he sent me to a surgeon to have my lower wisdom tooth removed, setting me back over $500. This did not remedy the problem and I honestly don't think I needed to have the wisdom tooth removed. I went back again, complaining of the same pain and he drilled down a filling (which is what I asked him to do the first time), told me I would need a $1500 root canal. He told me on every occasion it was unlikely it was the high filling. The pain subsided within 3 days of having the filling drilled down.

I went in just last week, thinking I was getting impressions for my permanent appliance and I got a cleaning instead, they had no future appointments for me for impressions... almost as if they forgot I even had a permanent appliance coming.

So fast forward a week, which would be today. I went in, got an impression taken. The dentist told me he was going to drill some "grooves" in my teeth to make the appliance fit, as appliances like mine are "tricky". He seemed hesitant to do it, sitting down, getting up, sitting back down, asking the assistant to see the impression. I was then told to come back in a week (this will make 3 Fridays in a row now) and we'll take another impression.

So I have lived with an appliance that doesn't fit well... but I can deal with that. I understand swelling goes down and all that. What I'm not real comfortable with is the fact that I think they completely forgot about the rest of what I paid CASH to receive, and the drilling of "grooves" in teeth I just paid thousands of dollars to repair.

Does this seem normal protocol to anyone else? Is it truly so difficult to make a partial appliance for the teeth I mentioned? Should I run, screaming, from this dentist and find another?

Thank you!! I am having some real anxiety about the thought of him altering my teeth to make an appliance fit, especially a piece that does have a limited life span, and seeing as I'm only 32 years old, I know this will not be my last partial appliance.

Sometimes you do make slots or grooves in teeth so that the denture will seat better, it's a well recognised technique and it's not harmful.
I'm not sure how to answer your other questions, if you have lost confidence in this dentist then it would be better to change to somebody you do trust, as a general principle.

Thank you - it makes me feel a bit better to know this is a recognized practice. It sounded so odd to me!

It does sound weird, but it's been going on forever :)

Back