• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need some encouragement please!

S

squaddieswife1

Hi everyone

Just a brief history! I have a big phobia of dentists relating to an incident that happened when I was a child (8 years old). To cut a long story short I am at a stage where I have broken and snapped teeth at the top front of my mouth (the only way I can go out in public is I have 2 crowns in the middle which are now failing). I have broken and decayed wisdom teeth and suffer with toothache most weeks of the year for the past God knows how many years. I have lost my smile and am so very embarrassed that I hate having my photo taken ot talking to new people. I recently got married and all my wedding photos I look horrible on because I cant smile :censored:.

Anyway, with help and support from my new husband, I finally grabbed the bull by the horns and made an appointment to see a dentist. The night before the appointment I hardly slept at all and the morning of the appointment I was physically sick. When I had to go into the dentists office I burst into tears :cry: and it took a while for him to get me to sit in the chair so he could just look!

The result of this is that I have to have 9 teeth extracted (5 at the top front and 3 wisdom and one back molar) and also one filling. My dentist is aiming to do all this work in one visit in 2 and a half weeks time!!!! :scared: I am having "waking sedation" and having a denture fitted for the upper front teeth straight away.

I am sooo looking forward to having things sorted and am proud of myself for making this first step BUT I am absolutely terrified!!! I want it all over and done with in one go but have never had sedation so am concerned whether it will work. I am concerned with how I will manage with my denture and how painful it will be to ware it with my gums being raw from the extractions. I'm concerned about how much my mouth will bleed following the procedure. basically I'm just looking for some answers from someone who maybe has had this done or something similar and also some encouragement! Help please!!!

I just wanted to give you some support, i can totally sympathise with fear of dentist and tooth pain etc! You were so brave to make the initial step of going in the first place! I've heard that rotten teeth are easier and less painful to extract so they'll probably come out no problem and as for dentures i know a few people who have them and no issues(only with not being able to eat a toffee lol) especiall nowadays as the fit is so precise. In my experience the anisthetic is more or less pain free as they inject so slowly, so no worries there! I cant give you medical advice but i just wanted you to know that im thinking of you, you're going to have a lovely new smile and after you've had them out those teeth will never bother you again XXX X

Thank you so much for your reply and your support! I know its gonna be for the best and once I have it done there will be no looking back. Im even thinking of going for implants later down the line!! I just wish I could fast forward to after I have had it done! I guess its just the fear of the unknown! x

Hi everyone

Just a brief history! I have a big phobia of dentists relating to an incident that happened when I was a child (8 years old). To cut a long story short I am at a stage where I have broken and snapped teeth at the top front of my mouth (the only way I can go out in public is I have 2 crowns in the middle which are now failing). I have broken and decayed wisdom teeth and suffer with toothache most weeks of the year for the past God knows how many years. I have lost my smile and am so very embarrassed that I hate having my photo taken ot talking to new people. I recently got married and all my wedding photos I look horrible on because I cant smile :censored:.

Anyway, with help and support from my new husband, I finally grabbed the bull by the horns and made an appointment to see a dentist. The night before the appointment I hardly slept at all and the morning of the appointment I was physically sick. When I had to go into the dentists office I burst into tears :cry: and it took a while for him to get me to sit in the chair so he could just look!

The result of this is that I have to have 9 teeth extracted (5 at the top front and 3 wisdom and one back molar) and also one filling. My dentist is aiming to do all this work in one visit in 2 and a half weeks time!!!! :scared: I am having "waking sedation" and having a denture fitted for the upper front teeth straight away.

I am sooo looking forward to having things sorted and am proud of myself for making this first step BUT I am absolutely terrified!!! I want it all over and done with in one go but have never had sedation so am concerned whether it will work. I am concerned with how I will manage with my denture and how painful it will be to ware it with my gums being raw from the extractions. I'm concerned about how much my mouth will bleed following the procedure. basically I'm just looking for some answers from someone who maybe has had this done or something similar and also some encouragement! Help please!!!
Wow, my story is very similiar/ I too had a horrible dentist growing up. My teeth will probably in dire need 4 years ago. I just got back from the dentist about 15 minutes ago. I am happy that I finally did it~ His opinion is to pull all teeth and dentures. It feels good that I got the ball rolling, and even though the first step is over for me, I still absolutely mortified. Maybe its the dentist, or maybe its just me, or both. I am now looking for a dentist for a second opinion. If I can do it*(and believe me I had every excuse in the book as to why I couldn't go to the dentist. I can, however, say that it feels better after the visit. Its the going in that gets me. But I did it and so can you!:thumbsup: You can talk to me anytime you want, if that helps.:)

Thank you so much for your reply! I have my appointment booked for the dentist to take some impressions for my immediate denture on the 6th of January and the big procedure is booked for the 13th of January (luckily its a wednesday and not a friday!!! LOL) so I am on a countdown. I am excited at the thought of getting the work done and getting my smile back and petrified of what I have to go through to get there at the same time! Im trying to stay positive and not think too much about it as the procedure is 2 weeks away but I got to be honest and say its on my mind all the time. Just hope everything goes ok. Im worried about how much my mouth will bleed, whether my immediate denture will be wearable or will my gums be too sore, will I be sick (I HATE being sick!) and a thousand other minor worries! Just hope I have some fingernails left and not too many bags under my eyes from lack of sleep by the end of all this! x :)

Extractions aren't near as bad as they sound. They're even easier than calling to make the appointment! ;D Keep thinking about how great your teeth will look and feel once it is all over!
Congratulations on getting your treatment started! It sounds like it will be over before you know it.

Thank you for your support and encouragement! I have been worried about the extractions as a lot of the teeth he is pulling out are broken right down to the gum and the thought of having my gums sliced fills me with dread but I know it will be worth it to get these ugly stumps removed. Im so glad my dentist can do all the work I require in one sitting! I only have one day to dread and feel ill over and then its onwards and upwards (fingers crossed! :thumbsup: )I hope you had a lovely Christmas and very best wishes for the New Year :cheers:

Extractions are not bad at all! I'm happy that you made the appointment and are going through with it.. that is the toughest part ! You won't regret it when you see your smile afterward ! Keep us posted and have a happy New Year !
:)

Hi and welcome to the forum. I too was petrified of my 1st dentist appointment back in March. I had not been in 12 years. I had to have 6 lower front teeth extracted and my 4 wisdom teeth. I can honestly say the extractions and pain were nothing to what I expected. I had an immediate lower denture placed and honestly, there was very little bleeding. The immediate denture acts as a bandaid at the extraction site. I wish you nothing but luck and I will wager a bet you will do fantastic!!!

Hugs to you...

Thank you so much both of you! Olivacs its soooo good to hear of someone who has had a similar procedure to mine done and says its not as bad as Im thinking! especially about the bleeding bit!! You have made me feel so much better! Im even sort of looking forward to getting it done and over with! I will keep you posted with how I get on. This forum is a god send! :respect:

Honestly I had very little bleeding after I left the office. I was thankful for that. The best thing I did was ice the area on and off for the first 24 hours. I also slept the first night with my head elevated as well. Salt water rinses work great too! Just a few tips to make things easier for you.

Thank you for the advice! Any tips or advice greatly appreciated! Now its the New Year and Im having my procedure THIS month (12 days to be exact!) the butterflies are starting to gather in my tummy and I alternate from being ok and sort of excited about getting it done and over with, to feeling a bit anxious and nervous. Hopefully things will settle and I can prepare for the procedure and not be too bad on the day! Happy New Year by the way! All the best to you and yours x:cheers:

I am kind of in the same position. I need extensive bridge work, because my previous dentist screwed my teeth up so bad.
I have an 8 hour appointment tomorrow and am petrified. He has offered me xanax which I will willingly take!
I am looking forward to a nice smile , but am so scared of the whole process.

Gosh that puts my worries right into perspective! I, too, am having my appointment tomorrow and right now Im shaking with terror but I know I wont be in the chair for anywhere near 8 hours. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you well. Our lovely new smile starts tomorrow!!!

See you on the other side!!!!:thumbsup:

Back