• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need some reassurance!

E

EMBeee

Hello all. I’m new here but I’ve been reading these forums for a little while now. I’ve never been one to be scared of seeing the dentist, even when I was a little child. Never had any issues. I’ve become a busy parent... 5 kids and a husband, so I started neglecting myself (dentist visits for one) because I was busy taking care of everyone else. My teeth aren’t horrible, but I had never had my wisdom teeth removed. They never caused me any problems, came out straight, not impacted at all... but now the top two are severely decayed. The one on my left is a crater and no crown other than a few stumpy pieces of tooth. The one on my right still has the crown but severely decayed and falling to pieces over the years. Surprisingly, they never caused me any pain. And so I just left them... stupid me... because now they need to come out as I’ve developed health anxiety in the last year and they NEED to come out for my sanity and health. Problem is, I’m terrified! And it’s amplifying my anxiety. I’m scared that there will be complications with the stumpy, rotten, below the gum line tooth that they won’t be able to help me :(

I only want local anesthetic as I feel being put under is a bit excessive and unnecessary. But I’m so scared. And being put under also terrifies me. I hear stories that it goes so quick. I will be relieved once it’s all done. I just can’t beli I’m freaking out over this... I’ve given birth to 5 kids... this should be a walk in the park right?! It’s not like it’s open heart surgery, or a leg amputation.... why am I so scared?! It’s done routinely in the dentists office and I just don’t know why I’m so scared.

Can anyone here tell me how quickly your extraction went under local anesthesia? I don’t want to know about general anesthesia as I will refuse to do it that way. But I want to know how well your procedure went... I need some reassurance. I have made an appointment, but canceled. It was supposed to be done today, so now I’m thinking next Friday. Please help :(

First up, you’re going to be okay.

If you are posting here, getting it all out, you have come a long way.

I can’t speak to LA, but I got mine out 18 months ago, and life is good.

And not a dentist, but from what you describe it sounds like it is better to get out what is left of them.

Beware of Dr. Google.

You’ve got this.

I haven't had wisdom teeth extracted under local, but had molars extracted with it. It went pretty quickly. Even the one where the tooth broke, and the dentist had to remove the roots separately was maybe 20 minutes from start to finish. The dentist was very nonchalant about it breaking so it didn't stress me out.

Don't be ashamed of being scared. I have two kids, have been through several medical procedures and am terrified to get dental work done! We all

Thank you! Logically, I know I have to have it done and that it's a normal procedure for oral surgeons to perform. I am just terrified as I've never had a tooth pulled in my life. I just don't know why I am so scared since child birth is probably worse, and I've been through that 5 times. It is causing my anxiety to escalate and also loss of sleep :(

I had an upper wisdom tooth out a couple of years ago with just local. I had an infection round the gum, went back after a course of antibiotics, and my dentist said she thought we should take the tooth out, and we could do it there and then. I figured that was better than making another appointment and worrying.

I swear, I went from her saying “can you feel anything sharp?” to check I was numb, to “do you want to see the tooth?” without even realising she had taken it out, it was so fast. It was like twisting the top off of a bottle. I had the tooth out at 5.15, was eating a normal dinner at 7.30, and at work as usual in the morning. No pain or swelling.

If it helps, my dentist told me she had one of hers pulled by a colleague in her lunch break, then carried right on with afternoon surgery.

I was just reading a thread today about extracting teeth that are broken off. Maybe someone more forum-savvy than me can post the link? It sounds like it’s always much easier for the dentist to get those out. You can do this, even though it may seem scary because you’ve never had a tooth pulled before.

I had an upper wisdom tooth out a couple of years ago with just local. I had an infection round the gum, went back after a course of antibiotics, and my dentist said she thought we should take the tooth out, and we could do it there and then. I figured that was better than making another appointment and worrying.

I swear, I went from her saying “can you feel anything sharp?” to check I was numb, to “do you want to see the tooth?” without even realising she had taken it out, it was so fast. It was like twisting the top off of a bottle. I had the tooth out at 5.15, was eating a normal dinner at 7.30, and at work as usual in the morning. No pain or swelling.

If it helps, my dentist told me she had one of hers pulled by a colleague in her lunch break, then carried right on with afternoon surgery.

This made me feel a little better! Thanks! I know that I will be fine as soon as I have t done, it's just the over thinking beforehand :(

I haven't had wisdom teeth extracted under local, but had molars extracted with it. It went pretty quickly. Even the one where the tooth broke, and the dentist had to remove the roots separately was maybe 20 minutes from start to finish. The dentist was very nonchalant about it breaking so it didn't stress me out.

Don't be ashamed of being scared. I have two kids, have been through several medical procedures and am terrified to get dental work done! We all

How did they get the root out?

How did they get the root out?

To be honest, I don't know. I had my eyes closed. I just know he told me the tooth broke and he had to get both the root ends out. It was super quick and I didn't feel anything, not even pressure.

I had my wisdom teeth out with just LA. The dentist was very intimidating and I was scared half to death but have to say that it went easier than a filling. The longest part was waiting until the local takes effect. I didn't know what was going on because everything felt just like pressure on gums. I think it was about five minutes as the dentist said we were done and I couldn't believe it.

I was just reading a thread today about extracting teeth that are broken off. Maybe someone more forum-savvy than me can post the link? It sounds like it’s always much easier for the dentist to get those out. You can do this, even though it may seem scary because you’ve never had a tooth pulled before.

I think you mean this:

The link seems to be very popular here on the forum in the last days :grin:

I had my wisdom teeth out with just LA. The dentist was very intimidating and I was scared half to death but have to say that it went easier than a filling. The longest part was waiting until the local takes effect. I didn't know what was going on because everything felt just like pressure on gums. I think it was about five minutes as the dentist said we were done and I couldn't believe it.

I hear quite frequently that it goes very quickly. I just wish that I could just get them done and over with. I can’t believe how much of a scaredy cat I am. I’m just terrified of having a tooth pulled. Never had one pulled before.

Embeee,

I think anything unfamiliar and new is so scary.. From one Minnesotan to another I am rooting for you to have an easier than expected experience. I"ve had all my 4 done with local and all were pretty quick.. done 2 one time , very quick, one with my regular dentist very quick and another with an oral surgeon, also really quick. All healed nicely too! Wishing you the best!

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I’m feeling a little less anxious about it now that I’ve started taking an antidepressant. I just want it to be done so that I don’t have it in the back of my mind, eating away at me. I’ve never been afraid of seeing the dentist, it just seems so barbaric to pull teeth out of your mouth ? it’s scary to me. But I’m getting better with it now that I have something to calm my anxiousness.