• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

need to find a good dentist in dagenham or surrounding area for very nervous person

L

lavender

need to find a good dentist in dagenham or surrounding area for very nervous person

i am looking for a dentist who has the time and patience for a very nrevous lady in dagenham essex or surrounding are, romford/ilford/etc. thankyou:)

Re: need to find a good dentist in dagenham or surrounding area for very nervous person

If you're willing to go into the heart of the city - which is only around 20 odd miles, I can't recommend Jenny Pinder who practises out of BUPA in Cornhill, too highly. Have a look at her website for starters - [Jenny has retired - out-of-date website address removed]. I was a phobic for practically my entire life and before I went to her, apart from regular visits as a child when I had no other option, I went only once when I had an abscess and that was more than 40 years ago. Then I met her and my whole life was changed and it was well worth the long journey each visit (500 mile+ round trip) because I knew I was in the best of safe, caring hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: need to find a good dentist in dagenham or surrounding area for very nervous person

thanks for the reply, i dont know how i can get to cornhill, london, if there was a dentist nearer, i would feel much better as also i dont travel too well and i cant go on trains, but thanks for your reply, it helps when you feel so down, when you have teeth trouble and your scared.:)

If you have additional issues aside from the dental phobia which prevent you travelling as you say, that would make you even more likely to qualify for care from the Special Needs and Community Dental Service...it is mentioned on this link so it definitely must exist in the Barking and Dagenham area:

[out-of-date link removed]

Your GP would be able to refer you.

[out-of-date link removed] This link implies the Julia Engwell Centre is where at least some of the Community Dental service is based...facilities for those who would not otherwise access dental care.

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks for that info, i did get to the community dentist, and was exrayed and i seem to be coping really well, until i had to make a decession on whether to have rootcanal tratment or extraction of an infected tooth, anyway i was being very brave, and said i would have an extraction, but i was so terrified and my heart was racing, and i couldnt get my head into gear, i went home, and i have been regretting it now, if only i had a bit more courage at that time. i know i will have to back eventually, i think its fear of fear and the unknown, thay were very nice to me, and kind, but i was scared... stiff.:mad:

thanks for that info, i did get to the community dentist, and was exrayed and i seem to be coping really well, until i had to make a decession on whether to have rootcanal tratment or extraction of an infected tooth, anyway i was being very brave, and said i would have an extraction, but i was so terrified and my heart was racing, and i couldnt get my head into gear, i went home, and i have been regretting it now, if only i had a bit more courage at that time. i know i will have to back eventually, i think its fear of fear and the unknown, thay were very nice to me, and kind, but i was scared... stiff.:mad:

Why don't you just re-open your file with them? Ask for sedation and go for the root canal and save your tooth. You won't be the first patient to have not come back and then returned...it strengthens your case for needing sedation really. They are going to be far cheaper for you than a private dentist - probably free at point of use.

What in particular are you scared about? Have you had previous bad experiences or is it more of a generalised anxiety thing?

thanks for your reply. i think its fear of the unknown, anxiety, and yes i have had loads of bad experiences with dentists in my life, it was just something the dentist said to me at the last appointment, that shook me up a bit. she said that the root was big and balbous and a strange shape and that if the root didnt come out i would have to have it removed later on at the hospital, and also said that the root was right near the sinus and it might make a hole in it and i would have to have ir repaired, i had to sighn a form before the extraction, well you can imangine how i felt, i couldnt cope with all this information, i felt like i was going to die. i had to get away, i think sometimes too much info dont do you any good, in some circumstances, i have never been told all this before with extractions. but anyway i wish i could get some courage in the next week so i can go on holiday, in two weeks time. thanks:)

Hi
I can recommend Highland View Dental surgey in Hornchurch. they are a private surgery but are really good with nervous patients, (they put up with me)!!. I now manage to go every 6 months.

Hyundailiz

Have you had any luck finding a dentist Lavender?

I am near you and am absolutely petrified, I went to the Abbey Practise in Barking with my hubby when he went for his check up recently with the intention of making an appointment for myself, but nearly passed out in the waiting room!!!:drool: Needless to say, I didn't bother!!

Back