• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need Wisdom Teeth Out - Broken/Decayed

P

pianoronni37

Hi! I'm new - bear with me!

I hadn't been to a dentist since I was 17 yrs old. I'm currently 28. The last experience was with a dentist who basically called me a "bad patient," wrote in the notes that I was "difficult," all because I cried when he put his KNEE in my chest when he was filling a back molar. Geesh.

Anyway! All of my wisdom teeth have grown in, and they grew in fine. Well, at least I thought so. I started getting pain on my right side, then all of a sudden back in January, a piece of my wisdom tooth broke off in my mouth. I almost passed out, I was so afraid.

I made an appointment and got myself to a dentist. Finally. I walked out once last year when they called my name... hahaha... So I did finally go, and I had no cavities in any of my "real" teeth, but all of my wisdom teeth were beginning to decay, especially the broken one.

So, I had an appointment with an oral surgeon. I canceled. I rescheduled! But then I canceled again... now my one broken wisdom tooth seems to be breaking a bit more... one quarter of it is gone, and another quarter is a bit loose. Oh, dear... I think I need to go to the oral surgeon.

They're all grown in fine, my dentist told me it should be a simple extraction, but here's the thing: I have somewhat high blood pressure that is not controlled at the moment. It's usually around 145/95, sometimes 135/85 - and at the very highest it was 170/110!!! :o

I've been trying to get it down with diet/exercise, and it's mostly been working. But, I'm still nervous that I will have a stroke or something when they use novacaine/sedate me to take out the wisdom teeth!!

How do I get these teeth taken out, especially the broken one, when I'm both terrified of dentists and having things in my mouth, AND have high blood pressure???

I think that is one thing your surgeon will know. When i went in, and they determined i also need to take mine out..and they didn't grow in right either (one ate my second molar the other is half grown in the jaw bone) one of the thing they asked when i filled out a bunch of questions, was if my blood pressure was stable.

I'm sure there are a lot of ways to sedate someone, some safer for people with your condition. But you really really need to get those fixed. Think of it like this, the sooner it's done the faster you will be away from the pain and the fright of the tooth coming to bits and pieces.

Chances are they won't take them out without numbing you. And if it is only local, try to be as calm as possible before the surgery, otherwise it will be harder for the local to take affect, and more will be needed. :grouphug:

I too have made many appointments and cancelled. I am also trying to get over many of my fears. I have posted a private message to you but please know you are not alone and if you should need any support please feel free to write me. Bless you.

I had my wisdom teeth removed by a surgeon becasue they were impacted. He took a full health history., etc...I'm sure the surgeon will have had patients with high blood pressure before and will know how to handle it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back