• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Needing a cigarette after a tooth extraction?

J

jemsalis

Former Member
I just had one of my back teeth (not wisdom) pulled out about 4 hours ago, the tooth had a root canal done to it about a year ago but I never got a crown put on it, and it crumbled and chipped away so I had it pulled out. I know about the whole dry socket thing, and avoiding putting suction on the tooth, but my question is, with no nerve there (since it was already root canaled a year ago) am I still at risk to be effected by dry socket pain? Thanks

:welcome:to the forum.

An extraction is an extraction, it doesn't make any difference what condition the tooth was in. The gum has to heal and by sucking you risk the clot coming loose and out of the socket. The same goes for sucking through straws. Also spiting is not to be done either. You are at risk of dry socket for the first 72 hours after extraction. Try and go without a cig as long as you can to give yourself the best chance of healing.

Isn't it just pants :tease::tease::tease:

i had the pretty much the same thing done on my teeth. i didnt listen and smoked and i got dry socket. It was the most painful thing i have ever experienced. Dont do it

What I tell my smoking patients after an extraction: please don't smoke. But, if you really have to smoke, cover the extraction site with a wet sterile gauze (and I provide quite a few of these) and let the smoke stay as far as possible away from the wounded tissue.

Back