• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nerve Block?

J

JazzyJ

The first fillings I'll be getting (tomorrow :() are on my lower back teeth. I read that these are given a different kind of injection to the usual ones that are dotted around the teeth being worked on. A nerve block injection or whatever. Where about is this given? Is it more, or less, painful? Is the numbing still going to be effective?

I'm very scared, but resigned to my fate. I'm looking on the positives that the chances are it'll be fine, even if unpleasant and scary. And even if it doesn't go well, I'll be able to stop the dentist and not go through with it if there's any pain. So I suppose that's all I can cope with.

The first fillings I'll be getting (tomorrow :() are on my lower back teeth. I read that these are given a different kind of injection to the usual ones that are dotted around the teeth being worked on. A nerve block injection or whatever. Where about is this given? Is it more, or less, painful? Is the numbing still going to be effective?

I'm very scared, but resigned to my fate. I'm looking on the positives that the chances are it'll be fine, even if unpleasant and scary. And even if it doesn't go well, I'll be able to stop the dentist and not go through with it if there's any pain. So I suppose that's all I can cope with.
A nerve block shouldn't be any more painful than a regular injection of local anesthesia................it just numbs more area. Probably because you are having multiple fillings done.
I had a nerve block done when I had my root canal done last year and it felt just like a regular injection of local anesthesia...............perhaps it took a tad longer to inject..........that's it.
You'll be numb in a larger area for maybe a bit longer than a shot of local anesthesia.
Much :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: and many :grouphug:for tomorrow!!
You'll do JUST fine.

Where about is the needle given?

In my limited experience with work performed on bottom teeth (the majority of my issues have been wIth top teeth) I recall the needle going into the lower back corner of the mouth almost where the gums and cheek meet on the side where the work will be completed. I can't be certain this will be the case for you but that is what I remember for having 2 fillings done in the bottom. It also did not feel any different to me from other dental injections. It was painless for me.

Hi jazzy -

To answers your questions, and reinforce what Jen said:

A nerve block is the standard type of injection used to numb you for working on lower teeth. It's given right in the back of your mouth, near the 'hinge' of your jaw if you know what I mean. As Jen said, if it's done properly (i.e. carefully and very slowly) then it's not really any worse than other injections, and yes, it is very effective. You will find that your lip, cheek and tongue go numb on that side, don't worry, this is supposed to happen! It'll wear off in a few hours.

And you're right, it really will be fine, and you can always stop if you want to. You're in charge.

hope it goes well for you tomorrow, will be thinking of you!

Let us know how you get on x

For some reason, this sounds better for me than the idea of it being in the gum, so that's pretty good. It's so many fears to conquer that it really will be one step at a time, but I think once the needle part is over, I'll be 80% relieved. Then when the first time the drill starts, assuming there's no pain, it'll be as easy as possible from then on. Thanks all of you for your answers, I'm so glad this forum exists :)

For some reason, this sounds better for me than the idea of it being in the gum, so that's pretty good. It's so many fears to conquer that it really will be one step at a time, but I think once the needle part is over, I'll be 80% relieved. Then when the first time the drill starts, assuming there's no pain, it'll be as easy as possible from then on. Thanks all of you for your answers, I'm so glad this forum exists :)

My first filing appointment was definitely a series of fears to conquer and each part of the appointment was another step up to success. Almost as if jumping through a series of hoops...some hoops were more like flaming hoops while others were less of a big deal but given the circumstances everything felt challenging to some degree. Although I did find after a painless injection with some reassuring talk I immediately relaxed by 25% and began trusting her more. After the drilling started and was okay I relaxed another 50% and by the very end of the appointment I was almost 100% relaxed... probably about 94%.:rolleyes:

Back