• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous about back molar. Can it be saved?!? Pic attached

Well done for making it through the appointment. It's never as bad as you think it'll be (though I struggle to remember that myself!).

Why have they only done a temporary filling?

@MumOfBoys1985 Almost turned around at least 10 times on the drive! I always want to tell myself it's not that bad but I feel like if I do then it's not going to be this time. Weird, I know!

The cavity was very deep and quite close to the root. The dentist wants to see how the tooth is with the medicated filling for the next 2-3 weeks and if all is well then they will do a permanent one, otherwise if there are issues then its root canal. This wasn't a surprise though she had mentioned this to me at the consultation.

Fingers crossed all will be well. I'm very good at telling people that it's never as bad as they think it will be, be brave etc, but for myself I am an absolute wreck when it comes to dentists etc.

If it does come that you need a root canal (fingers crossed you won't), I am hugely phobic of the dentist but I have had one and it wasn't too bad, not much worse than a normal filling really. Not sure if that's reassuring or not, I hope it is anyway.

@wpgshyguy2 well done! That’s great too that the numbing bit didn’t hurt too. That’s often a big fear for people! Hope the rest of the treatment after temporary filling goes well.

I’m hoping for good news for you tomorrow! If you do happen to have to have a root canal, take it from this MAJOR dental-phobe who just had one a couple of weeks ago (and who has to have a 2nd one a week from tomorrow), they’re really not bad at all. I was petrified it would hurt during/after & there was absolutely no pain at all. Sending you good vibes. ?

Thanks for checking in @MumOfBoys1985. It went great! Got the temp filling changed for an amalgam as the dentist stated this was the best option for the large size. Been a few weeks now and no pain or sensitivity!

Thanks for checking in @MumOfBoys1985. It went great! Got the temp filling changed for an amalgam as the dentist stated this was the best option for the large size. Been a few weeks now and no pain or sensitivity!
Hooray! Great news! ?

Back