• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous about back molar. Can it be saved?!? Pic attached

W

wpgshyguy2

The middle part of my molar popped out and I know I need to get this fixed. I'm dreading that it can't be saved. Oddly there is no pain or sensitivity coming from the tooth. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20210305_175246137.jpg
    PXL_20210305_175246137.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 120
Hello ? Not a dentist here. But in regards to dreading it can’t be saved, there often are options to try and save a tooth. I had a molar with a large hole and was able to save it, so try not to worry (I know it’s hard) until you know your options.

Hi @Molar_bear thanks for the kind words. Was yours similar?

I am not a dentist but I do know dentistry is often brilliant these days and there are likely to be several options available before extraction. Usually that's the very last resort.

They'll likely want to numb you up, drill away and decay and pop a filling in. They will probably xray to check it's all healthy at the root too.

I would try to get seen by your dentist sooner rather than later though to prevent any bigger problems.

Well I bit the bullet and went today. It is savable and with just a filling! Booked in for 2 weeks from now.

Well I bit the bullet and went today. It is savable and with just a filling! Booked in for 2 weeks from now.

Well done that’s amazing! Hope your appointment went smoothly. Thats great and sounds like such a relief for you. I have had a filling and honestly it was fine.

@Molar_bear it went amazing! This was a new dentist (which was a part of the anxiety), as my last one had retired a few years back. She was incredibly patient and talked though everything and all of the scenarios. What a relief. Can't wait to get the filling over and done with!

@wpgshyguy2

That’s fantastic, sounds like you have found a good new dentist there. So good to have her talk everything though and be so patient. Definitely it will be such a relief once it’s done! Honestly though should be fine, having a filling was fine when I had mine. I had worked myself up so much before hand I felt a bit silly sitting there fine ???‍♀️

Thats brilliant news. Well done

Monday morning is the day for the filling. Of course anxiety starts to kick in again. Never had a filling on the bottom before...

I had a small filling repair yesterday and it was fine. The injection hurt a little bit which is to be expected but apart from that, all was fine.

Try not to worry, the more tense you are the worse you'll feel. Do you know what to expect in terms of how the surgery will be set out? The dentist will be wearing full ppe and a breathing mask aswell

I too have had fillings on my bottom teeth. In fact one which was shallow that I had no injection for and honestly didn’t hurt at all. Just a slightly unpleasant feeling and noise that was over in no time.

Good luck for Monday. I’m sure it be fine and nothing like our anxious minds believe us to expect

@Molar_bear yes it's the waiting that is usually the worst part. Can't wait to get it done so I can hopefully stop worrying

@MumOfBoys1985 yeah being tense definately doesn't help. Trying to tell myself after Monday hopefully it's all over!

@Molar_bear yes it's the waiting that is usually the worst part. Can't wait to get it done so I can hopefully stop worrying

Definitely the waiting is the worst. Not long to go though. Is there anything you can do to take your mind off it in the mean time

Definitely the waiting is the worst. Not long to go though. Is there anything you can do to take your mind off it in the mean time
Trying to do outdoorsy things with the wife and daughter. Its finally nice weather here in Winnipeg. Always on the back my mind though. Until its over and done with, its always there!

Trying to do outdoorsy things with the wife and daughter. Its finally nice weather here in Winnipeg. Always on the back my mind though. Until its over and done with, its always there!

Very true will be there but hopefully not all consuming. Sounds nice to get outside!

Well well well. As always it's never as bad as you think it's going to be. The numbing which I thought would be terrible, while uncomfortable, definitely didn't hurt. Temporary medicated filling in. Gotta wait and see how it holds up, otherwise root canal. But either way its fixable.

Back