• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous about my appointment

A

Alani

I’m due to get 2 fillings fixed up as they’re old and starting to wear down. I’m nervous about the local though it’s my upper jaw 1st and 2nd molars would they be using 2 local injections or 1? And I’m particularly nervous because one is on a tooth that had a very large filling that ended up near the pulp, the last thing I want is that to end up being a root canal. Why would you redo these old fillings when there’s no cavity in them?

I'd do 2 injections to be on the safe side, once the first one is in though the area where the 2nd would go is likely to be going numb already so I doubt the patient would even notice.
Presumably the fillings are leaking or are in some other way defective, hard to say without seeing them.

The dentist said the margins are decreasing and starting to show where the filling was. I think what’s making me nervous is I’ve had my 1st premolars out and the other teeth moved forward as I had braces. Would that affect the nerve of the 1st molar?

Hi Alani, I'm not sure what exactly makes you nervous about the local, but in case you're worried about pain / discomfort, just wanted to mention that those teeth are the most comfortable to get numbed at.

Hi Alani, I'm not sure what exactly makes you nervous about the local, but in case you're worried about pain / discomfort, just wanted to mention that those teeth are the most comfortable to get numbed at.

I think what’s making me the most nervous is that last time one of these teeth wasn’t as numb and I could feel a bit of it. I’m also nervous because one of them already has quite a big and deep filling that is near the pulp so I don’t want it to turn into a root canal. I do trust my dentist though in that his technique in giving local is amazing, the last one he gave though did hurt quite a bit only because the topical moved though because I talked when he asked me a question but for the most part he is pretty amazing.

I think what’s making me the most nervous is that last time one of these teeth wasn’t as numb and I could feel a bit of it. I’m also nervous because one of them already has quite a big and deep filling that is near the pulp so I don’t want it to turn into a root canal.

The filling being near the pulp back then doesn't mean it's still near: what happens over time is that the wall between the filling and the pulp gets thicker and the pulp chamber smaller. This is how your body makes sure that the pulp stays protected, which is pretty brilliant. If the filling is few years old, your dentist has now much more space there than back then as the filling got done. Gordon can probably explain it better.

Alani

Hello, just catching up on your story. I would be nervous too after feeling a little of the work and feeling like it wasn't quite numb enough. I would definately talk to your dentist and say "I'm really nervous about being about to feel any pain during the procedure, could you make sure I am numb enough ? if they know this is a fear or concern, most will be consciensious about it. Also , have you talked about a stop sign , so if you did feel pain you could raise your right hand and he could give you more , or something to that effect? so you know you have a plan if that does happen?

Alani

Hello, just catching up on your story. I would be nervous too after feeling a little of the work and feeling like it wasn't quite numb enough. I would definately talk to your dentist and say "I'm really nervous about being about to feel any pain during the procedure, could you make sure I am numb enough ? if they know this is a fear or concern, most will be consciensious about it. Also , have you talked about a stop sign , so if you did feel pain you could raise your right hand and he could give you more , or something to that effect? so you know you have a plan if that does happen?
Yes we do have a signal and he knows I’m a anxious patient when I have work other then a cleaning/check up done. So he will often ask if I’m ok. Sometimes the pain is so quick by the time it’s over I don’t have any drilling left or it’s the actual filling being done.

Back