• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous about numbing gel! I must be nuts!

Trouts

Trouts

I was wondering, how likely is it for that numbing gel stuff to accidently go down your throat and freaking you out as I will if that does happen???? I sure hope it doesn't. Haven't had it happen before, and that was when I had four fillings done 20 years ago. It is easy to think the worst as we get older, go figure! And I noticed sometimes when brushing my teeth on the side of the filling that needs to be redone, I get a slight pressure sensation on that side. So I am freakin' over what it may feel like when he digs into it. Will my nose feel the same pain? Or worse, feel numb? I am sensitive to pressure in my nose and throat, any help would be great! :)

I refused the numbing gel for this very reason. They weren't concerned about it, just said OK we won't use it!

OK, thanks for that! When the needle goes in, doesn't it almost instantly numb your gum anyway? I guess I would just feel a piercing for a few seconds. And this dentist is suppost to be one of the best in the are, and very gentle. I had the gel before, but am more petrified now especially after reading about bad experiences by other people (thanks Internet,UGH!):o

My recent work was a root extraction of upper tooth....I hardly noticed the needle at all. certainly not pain

I'm in california also, near san francisco :)

I have had the numbing gel many times. I can't imagine it dripping anywhere -- it seem like gel toothpaste in terms of consistency. That being said, I'm not sure that it makes much difference in terms of feeling the injection. At most, you should feel a small pinch -- I'm a huge needle phobe if that helps :). If you don't want the numbing gel, just ask and they should have no problem not using it. Best of luck!

My recent work was a root extraction of upper tooth....I hardly noticed the needle at all. certainly not pain

I'm in california also, near san francisco :)
Cool, I am near Monterey:);)

I love Monterey! One of my favorite places to visit for the day :)

I have had an injection right into a nerve by my old dentist....it hurt, then my face went numb up to my forehead (it was a lower jaw injection) and hte numbness lasted a lot longer than usual but it did go away.

Being that numb was very frightening but there was no long term problem.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry. Lots of people go to the internet to post about terrible experiences, not to just post about regular, every day dental work or medical procedures that go perfectly well :)

Hi!
It has been about 10 years since I had an injection...but have a bunch coming this week. When they last did it, they put numbing gel on a q-tip and left the q-tip in place. I could hold it with my hand. Maybe that would be an option for you? Nothing ran or dripped. It was pretty thick and goupy and stayed right there.

Hi!
It has been about 10 years since I had an injection...but have a bunch coming this week. When they last did it, they put numbing gel on a q-tip and left the q-tip in place. I could hold it with my hand. Maybe that would be an option for you? Nothing ran or dripped. It was pretty thick and goupy and stayed right there.
That is a great idea! Having some control of the procedure. I wonder how strong Orajel is compared to the gel the dentist uses?:naughty:

Good question! I have no idea, sorry. Wish I could answer that one for you. I'd guess similar but maybe not quite as strong as what they use. Then again, it could be exactly the same. Seems to me theirs is thicker than oragel but again, that was 10 yrs ago. Spike has an appointment today...maybe he can help.

Hi there

Well, my dentist coated a piece of cotton wool or roll with a small amount of numbing gel, which he then placed against the area to be injected, since it was all contained in the cotton, it didn't go anywhere. He left it there for a short time to work and to be honest I never felt the needle go in, first time I have ever experienced that.

hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards

Hello personally I think numbing gel is FANTASTIC:giggle: It's pretty thick and they only use a bit and when I had mine they put it along a stick or something so it really is placed exactly and they do it on the outside of your gum so it can't really go anywhere and mine tasted of Bubblegum once this little spot is numbed and they do the first injection and they let that take effect, you go numb and don't feel any of the others so it's just for that initial injection and it really numbs but just that small area, good luck
p.s when I got some rubbing blisters with my new denture and she needed to put the denture in and out to check the fit my mouth was really tender and she dabbed a little on a Qtip cotton bud and applied it to my sore spots I will never have an injection again without numbing gel and now can actual relax when they start injecting:scared:
D.J:whirl:

Hi there

Well, my dentist coated a piece of cotton wool or roll with a small amount of numbing gel, which he then placed against the area to be injected, since it was all contained in the cotton, it didn't go anywhere. He left it there for a short time to work and to be honest I never felt the needle go in, first time I have ever experienced that.

hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards

I have exactly the same at my dentist, feels like I have marsh mallow stuffed inside my chops. They don't taste like it though yuk! :grin:

I have exactly the same at my dentist, feels like I have marsh mallow stuffed inside my chops. They don't taste like it though yuk! :grin:
As long as I don't feel numbness in my nose or throat, I will be ok! :) I am super sensitive to any weird sensations lately. Most of that I know is my brain working overtime! So I am just practicing relaxing techniques and shooting water down my mouth to get used to the sensation, as I have a weird gag reflex. I was thrown backward into a pool once when I was 10 years old by a jerk in our swim class! So it's hard for me to even chug a bottle of water down! Amazing how the mind remembers stuff! Thanks for all the support, this is a great forum!;D

I just had four cavities filled, top and bottom, and while she was numbing the top with numbing gel I accidentally swallowed and was terrified. Thankfully the numbing sensation was more the top of my mouth than my throat and wore off rather quickly.

Back