• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous about upcoming appointment.

S

Simba-ali34

Hello,

Thank you for any help you can offer

The short version is I had to have a root canal on my front tooth due to a fistula on the gum, this failed and I then had an extraction and am implant placed...

The fistula never went away but subsided and didn't drain after the extraction but I still notice a slight white spot from time to time.

I've booked another appointment as the implant has slight discomfort on biting and to check the health of the implant as I'm starting to feel very anxious and I'm getting nervous that the implant will need replacing..

Any clues as to why this fistula still appears?yet doesn't drain (or if it does it's very minimal compared to before extraction) I've had multiple x-rays and no sign of infection according to the dentist.

Kind regards

How long was the fistula present for?
If the answer is several months then what can happen is that the track between the abscess and the outside world becomes walled off with (something like) skin tissue, if this happens then the only way to completely remove it is by surgically closing it. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds and compared to having an implant placed it's a walk in the park :)

So I had the fistula for about a year prior to the extraction, it would fill and empty constantly until I had the tooth removed.

The fistula never disappeared after the extraction and remained all the way through the implant placement which has now been about 10 months, but doesn't seem to fill and empty but just stays the same with a very small white dot.

I'm hoping its not an infection as it didn't affect the integration of the implant to the best of my knowledge.

It's not an infection, it's what happens when a fistula has been present for that length of time. It's harmless.

Back