• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous I'm 20 never been to the dentist

M

Magic671

Hi all,

I am 20 years old and have never been to the dentest in my entire life I do have an appointment booked however I am very very nervous about going,

My teeth aren't in to bad condition as far I can tell, just tartar and discolouring, no pain no sensitivity a little red along the gum line near the back teeth I brush twice a day with an electronic toothbrush floss occasionally and use mouth wash, I don't smoke I drink rarely to

I'm very nervous about going to the point of crying and shortness of breath any help would be amazing

Thanks

Last edited:
Since you've never visited a dentist, that sounds to me very much like simple fear of the unknown. Perfectly normal in my book, and usually subsides once you meet the person you're going to see and discover he/she doesn't have two heads, three eyes etc. etc. !

It's quite unusual to reach the age of 20 without ever having seen a dentist - those of us here who have, or have overcome, phobias usually contracted those phobias as a result of childhood dental experiences. Just out of curiousity, how did it come about that you never visited a dentist when you were a child ?

John

Since you've never visited a dentist, that sounds to me very much like simple fear of the unknown. Perfectly normal in my book, and usually subsides once you meet the person you're going to see and discover he/she doesn't have two heads, three eyes etc. etc. !

It's quite unusual to reach the age of 20 without ever having seen a dentist - those of us here who have, or have overcome, phobias usually contracted those phobias as a result of childhood dental experiences. Just out of curiousity, how did it come about that you never visited a dentist when you were a child ?

John

Thank you for getting back to to me it was. Just at a time when you had to start paying that my mum was. Going to start taking me and then she just didn't also my sister had a bag experience when we we're kids and It really frightened me and put me off

I have. An appointment tomorrow morning and to be completely honest I'm absolutely terrified

Hi! As it is a first appointment, they won't do any treatment. They will look inside your mouth with a mirror, take some x-rays (if you're up for it), and maybe poke your gums gently. None of this is painful at all. Then, they will work out a treatment plan for you, if any work is needed. They may also want to do a cleaning as well.

Let the dentist and staff know that it's your first time and that you are nervous. They should try to make you feel comfortable. Remember that you have to consent to anything that they want to do, so if you feel like something is too much for you to handle at that first visit, let them know!

The first appointment is by far the scariest, but with a good, compassionate dentist, you will be fine. :) Good luck!

Hi! As it is a first appointment, they won't do any treatment. They will look inside your mouth with a mirror, take some x-rays (if you're up for it), and maybe poke your gums gently. None of this is painful at all. Then, they will work out a treatment plan for you, if any work is needed. They may also want to do a cleaning as well.

Let the dentist and staff know that it's your first time and that you are nervous. They should try to make you feel comfortable. Remember that you have to consent to anything that they want to do, so if you feel like something is too much for you to handle at that first visit, let them know!

The first appointment is by far the scariest, but with a good, compassionate dentist, you will be fine. :) Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply this has really helped I'm still very scared to go I hope it goes okay I'll let everyone know the outcome

Just finished he said considering I've never been to the dentist before my teeth are in good shape 3 teeth are prone to decay so all I have to do is go back next week have a deep clean and have those teeth sorted having 3 fissure sealant done and I'll have to go once every 6 months

Last edited:
Back