• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous of iv sedation

S

Shazzie01

Hi I'm having 11 teeth out and in so nervous about iv sedation I'm so worried I'm making myself sick somebody told me it feels like your drunk and the room spins one I don't drink and 2 I have bouts of vertigo please could anybody put my mind at ease

I have had IV sedation about 6 or 7 times and never did I experience anything like that. I just have the drug put into the IV and then wake up when it's done. No memory of anything happening at all, and no affects like dizzyness or feeling drunk before, during or afterward.

I have had IV sedation about 6 or 7 times and never did I experience anything like that. I just have the drug put into the IV and then wake up when it's done. No memory of anything happening at all, and no affects like dizzyness or feeling drunk before, during or afterward.

Does your mouth hurt after you wake up? How mild is the pain?

Does your mouth hurt after you wake up? How mild is the pain?

It shouldn't hurt more than it would without sedation. I haven't had that many teeth out in one go, but I have had extractions and never had any pain whatsoever afterwards. Remember to follow your dentist's post extraction instructions and after the first 24 hours or so, do plenty of salt water rinses, they are very soothing and help the healing process. I am sure it will all go well for you, there are many people who have had IV and say it has been wonderful! I am having IV on the 21st Feb for the first time and am a bit apprehensive, but I hope it will all go well.
Let us know how it goes for you-all the best!

30 years and no one has ever complained of how they felt with IV sedation in my office.