• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous waiting for RCT with abscess

C

Ccbloom

Hi all,

I have been trying to find the right words to write my post for a couple of weeks due to being so nervous and just having heightened anxiety in general.

I am extremely fearful of the dentist and have been for years. I also need a lot of work done. Against all odds, I have probably had about 1/3 of it completed, though this has been over around 4 years and due to the fear I kept cancelling appointments.

I now have an abscess on my last bottom right molar which had a deep temp filling in it. I was due to have RCT started at the beginning of December but cancelled (stupid!) this was before the abscess started.

On the 15th December I started having pain in my lower jaw but assumed I’d been grinding my teeth. By the following Wednesday I was in pain, it was swollen and I had a gum boil, so I visited the dentist the next day.

I was prescribed 5 days of Amoxicillin (which didn’t work). I then went back and had the filling removed and the tooth cleaned out (sedative stuff, medicine in it etc) which also didn’t work. I have now just finished a 5 day course of Meteonidazole, and while the pain and swelling have decreased some, the gum is still filling with *stuff* every couple of days and then seems to be bursting in my sleep. I have been at the dentist 3 times now, and also called NHS24 last Sunday in a panic about it but they couldn’t see me.

My first RCT is booked for 24th Jan, and I am scared I won’t last until then. I have asked for a sooner appt but can’t get one.

I am worried that:
This is too long to wait
The abscess is so persistent that it will never go away, or that I will be seriously ill with it before the 24th
Why it’s still filling and bursting
That RCT won’t work either
Terrified of extraction but desperate as I can’t mentally tolerate infection of any kind :cry:

Can someone please enlighten me on these things, and also explain to me why the dentist wouldn’t have drained the abscess/why it’s still filling up? I have been so anxious that I can’t read others’ experiences yet. I am also now back at work after the Christmas break, and can’t attend appointments as freely during the week so this is also stressing me out.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I am not a dentist, so I will just share my experience and what I have been told.
I had a very large abscess on my front upper tooth. It was discovered last year. I apparently had it for a long time, at least 2 years, judging from the size (according to the endodontist). Mine was not draining and was instead tunneling back into my palate behind the tooth. My tooth had died very slowly over the years after a childhood injury.
My endodontist said that it is actually better if they have a spot like yours that pops and drains, which is probably why they didn’t drain yours. It is already draining on its own.
I had mine for a long time and during that time had multiple blood draws done that showed no extra infection in my body. Basically I was told by my endodontist that it is very rare for an abscess to affect more than just your mouth. So it won’t be “too long” to wait for the root canal.
When they do the root canal, they will clean out the roots and that should remove the lingering infection. It is possible that it made might fail, but it also could work great and you have no issues. I had a failed root canal, but my infection was huge and had been there for years. I did have to get the tooth extracted but in the end I am infection free, which is what matters! I have the same anxiety you do about infection in my body. So the relief of having it gone is huge.

MountainMama - you have no idea how reassuring that is to hear, thank you so much for your kind and gentle words. I am in such a state that reading that made me well up a bit.

I have struggled so much these past few weeks and have found it really hard to enjoy the festive period, which is not ideal because I have a young child.

I’m pretty devoid of any energy or reason now so thank you for giving me such a rational and quick reply.

MountainMama - you have no idea how reassuring that is to hear, thank you so much for your kind and gentle words. I am in such a state that reading that made me well up a bit.

I have struggled so much these past few weeks and have found it really hard to enjoy the festive period, which is not ideal because I have a young child.

I’m pretty devoid of any energy or reason now so thank you for giving me such a rational and quick reply.

Believe me, I understand! I have had multiple dental issues come up over the past year and with my first one, I was so anxious and I think I made some hasty decisions because of my anxiety over the wait between discovery and treatment, especially the fear of the pain getting much worse. I also have young kids and it is so hard to balance life and deal with fear as well.
My anxiety over dental infection has gotten much better over the past year, due to experience and lots of help from people on this forum. I agonized over losing my front tooth but in the end it was the best thing and I feel so much better!
The antibiotics will help shrink the infection but it won’t go away until the root canal.

Have you tried rinsing with salt water? That will help clean the drainage area and can help with pain management as well.

That’s reassuring to know, and so great that your anxiety over infections has lessened! Well done you. I have only had one other abscess and it went to nothing with antibiotics, and then I only had 1 week to wait for a root canal. It was also on a smaller, upper tooth and seemed like less of a procedure in my mind.

I have been absolutely dreading going back to work with the thought of it flaring up and not being able to get an appointment. If you call for an urgent one you just have to take what you are given, as you’ll know. I also work out of town 2/3 days per week every week and that is also worrying me. Anyway sorry, I’m rambling now!

Yes I have been rinsing regularly with salt water, and also corsodyl in the morning and bedtime after brushing.

These things just seem to go on forever:shame:

Hi Ccbloom :welcome:

delighted to read you finally found the courage to post. Give yourself a pat on the back and rest assurred that we all know how it is to deal with anxiety. Feel free to ramble and vent as much as you like.
Sorry to read they couldn't see you earlier, but I second @MountainMama; if the abscess is draining, then all is well and you will be fine until 24th. Worries about abscess causing damage are so common that we even have a thread about in our FAQ section (which says you will be ok and which I won't link here now - you can find it anytime should you feel the need and readiness to look read other posts)

May I ask you what made you stop going 4 years ago? Was the dentist a nice one? Are you now in the same practice now as back then?

All the best wishes

Hi Ccbloom :welcome:

delighted to read you finally found the courage to post. Give yourself a pat on the back and rest assurred that we all know how it is to deal with anxiety. Feel free to ramble and vent as much as you like.
Sorry to read they couldn't see you earlier, but I second @MountainMama; if the abscess is draining, then all is well and you will be fine until 24th. Worries about abscess causing damage are so common that we even have a thread about in our FAQ section (which says you will be ok and which I won't link here now - you can find it anytime should you feel the need and readiness to look read other posts)

May I ask you what made you stop going 4 years ago? Was the dentist a nice one? Are you now in the same practice now as back then?

All the best wishes

Hi Enarete!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and reassurance, I will be sure to check that FAQ section out, I had no idea it was so common and that makes me feel better. I can really drive myself round the bend with these things.

Yeah of course! Before the work I’ve had done over the last 4 years, I had only ever been to the dentist as an adult due to extreme pain/cracks etc. As a child, I had a painful and horrible experience like so many others, then the dentist recommended that my Mum stop using fluoride toothpaste on me :o hence my many issues as an adult. Unfortunately, I had another 2 bad experiences as an adult (one at a different surgery and one where I am now although that dentist left not long after). I found a wonderful dentist who understood all my worries and I trusted. That is how I managed to get the work done more recently. Sadly she has carpal tunnel and stopped practicing for now, although she is still co-owner of the practice so I trust that all her staff are great. The lady I see now is also lovely and is understanding.

My fears definitely stem from past experiences. I also have a fear of the injection (although am not bothered about a needle anywhere else on my body!) and hate the nerve block (I always get the electric shock feeling).

There are a few things I need to work through, and so far have managed without sedation although it is always very uncomfortable for me and I lose sleep before appointments. My ultimate goal is to have all of my treatment carried out and then go on to get adult braces. At the moment I’m quite ashamed and embarrassed of my teeth although I know they are not awful.

Thanks a million for listening:love:

Hi both,

I have to say thank you so much for your reassurance, because this morning at 8.30am, before work (!) I went to the dentist and got the first stage of my RCT done. The dentist and I are both hoping that the tooth settles now.

I am really hoping for at least a couple of months’ respite:)

Thanks again for being so kind and giving me the bravery to go through with it.

That‘s great news, Ccbloom!:you-rock:
Glad all went well and keeping my fingers crossed for the tooth to settle soon.
Give yourself a pat on the back and keep us posted:grouphug:

So glad you got the first part done!

Hoping it settles for you!!

Back