• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous

L

Legal Girl

I am feeling very anxious, l am scheduled for an extraction because my tooth sheared off in the back No pain, no infection but they want to pull the back teeth and give me a bridge and no other teeth have any pain or discoloration.

I don't see why they need to be pulled in the back do l have to pay for work that l decline?

Hi Legal Girl,

I can see how you feel that the treatment might not be necessary. Generally speaking, teeth that cannot be saved need to come out in order not to cause problems - if there is no infection or no pain for you now, there will surely be some in the future, most likely in a moment you need it the least.
However, your dentist is the one who should be able to explain things to you, show you your x-rays and tell you exactly what is going on and what options do you have. You need to know and understand in order to be able to agree to treatment. Dentistry is not "dentists doing something to you and you not knowing why". So may I encourage you to get in touch with them and ask for an explanation until you feel you know what is going on and why they recommend and extraction?

All the best wishes

my sister was in the same situation and she too thought no pain or issues then why not leave the broken tooth alone. Her dentist explained it exactly like this ... no pain now or infection but left in/ untreated, it leaves opportunity for infection to sent in an some point and possible causing more issues later. She just had it extracted

Back