• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Never been into the dentist!

E

emilyrogers

I’m 16 years old and my parents have never really been able to afford dental care. i brush my teeth twice a day, but don’t floss regularly. I’ve noticed that i have a few cavities on my back mollars. only one of them is larger and more noticeable, the others are only small dark spots on the side or top of the mollars. none of them have hurt except for today the large one has begun to give me a dull pain. (i can’t tell if it’s really hurting or if it’s in my head because i’ve been getting anxiety about it) I’m very nervous about going to the dentist because i feel embarrassed that i’ve never been, and that i have more than one cavity. also a lot of my anxiety stems from the fear of the unknown, i would love if someone could just let me know what will happen there, and if anyone has tips for dealing with the embarrassment and fear. thanks!

First of all, you are taking the first step by arranging an appointment! Good job! (Am I right in that you are going and just want to know what to expect?)

Second, don't be ashamed...you are brushing regularly, which is a great thing. Be proud of that. It is normal to have a cavity or two at your age. My 11 year old goes to the dentist regularly, brushes regularly, and had her first cavity last year anyway. The dentist will just be happy that you came in.

As far as what to expect, usually at the first visit, they take x rays, do a chart where they count all your teeth, and mark which ones you have in their system (some people get wisdom teeth out or teeth extracted for orthodontia). The hygienist will clean your teeth and floss. The dentist will then examine your teeth and poke around the gums a bit to check your gum health. Then they will tell you what needs to be done and make a treatment plan with you.
If I have missed anything, someone else pleasr jump in.

Had to deal with that feeling before. My first dental appointment was at 10 years old, later on in life I let 9 years lapse before going again. Be honest about your situation, the dentist and staff should not make you feel bad for not having gone before or for having cavities. Rather, they should take a little more time with you to explain things since it's new to you. The link below has a good summary of what to expect for a check-up/first appointment.

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/check-up/

Hi Emily :welcome:,

you have got great advice already. If it helps, we had some people here on the forum, who have been much older then you and never went to the dentist.. Sadly not all parents are able to provide their kids with dental care and your future dentist will be used to people who have never been before. Is there any practice in your area that you feel might be the right for you?
While the tooth that is bothering you might need some attention, keep in mind that not all dark spots on teeth are cavities so better not worrying about it now and let the dentist tell you what's going on. Most people who haven't been for a long time (or never) think they would need more work than they actually do.

All the best wishes and keep us posted :grouphug:

Back