• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Never been to a dentist before - 26 years old

S

Scaredygap

Hi, I came across this site a few times in many many panicked google searches over the years but today I have called and made an appointment for an examination with a dentist.

I’ve always had a prominent gap between my two front upper teeth which I was badly bullied over at school. Because of the bullying I spent many years not bothering to do anything. I’d decided it wasn’t worth looking after myself because what was the point. I really made things worse for myself because what started as bullying over a gap in my teeth became bullying because I had greasy hair, spots, smelt funny, bad breath, chubby etc etc. I just didn’t have the energy or motivation to do anything. I’d assumed when I left school and didn’t see the groups of people saying these things anymore things would magically get better but I’d spent so many years thinking of myself as not worth the effort that didn’t happen.

Over time my hygiene improved as I started to make friends and enjoy my job, so my skin and hair got better and well kept. I then began actually brushing my teeth but by the time I started doing that they were in pretty awful condition. The calculus on my front bottom teeth is horrific, and I have some broken teeth at the back.

Over time it has affected how I eat, I can’t/won’t bite into a sandwich like a normal person for fear of those front bottom teeth popping out. Eating in restaurants is fine as I can order something which I can cut up and put straight to a side of my mouth to chew however if out with friends and they want to do something as simple as go to Subway or pick up a sausage roll or something “on the go” I immediately worry how weird I look pulling these things apart to put bits in my mouth rather than just biting into them.

I’ve finally snapped and had enough of living like this. I’ve had people I thought were friends talk about me behind my back and comments in bars and I simply don’t smile or laugh with an open mouth. I’ve made an appointment for an examination tomorrow morning (they had a cancellation and I thought maybe it’s best not having a lot of time to dwell on it).

I’m absolutely terrified. I’ve never been to a dentist, I had a crippling phobia of needles as a child and into my twenties so didn’t go, then as I overcame that I realised how expensive my treatment could be and didn’t go as I was terrified of being told I desperately need X Y Z but can’t afford it. Now I’m worried about the pain and the cost and being told it’s a lost cause now they’re so bad.

I’m holding out hope that maybe this time tomorrow I’ll be overjoyed and maybe I’ll just wish I’d gone all those years ago. I still have several teeth which are striking white next to the others and I can “squeak” with a finger. I hope this means all is not lost :(

Dear Scaredygap,

welcome and thank you very much for sharing your story! And well done for having picked the courage to make an appointment!

Well now you have probably noticed that this forum is full of lovely beautiful souls like you who try to beat their fear and that this journey is not all plain sailing (actually it is quite scary most of the time and you for sure have read all the success stories and journals so you know how we all want to excape through windows in the waiting room, cancel the appointment in the last moment ans so on - I guess it's just a part of the journey:)

But: you have made the first step and that's the most important thing! And now you have a great comunity behind you and we all are with you, will love to support you anytime you need it and we believe in you!

Don't worry about the pain - dentistry nowadays is painfree. And don't worry about the cost - there are always options and you know, just try to go just one step at a time. At the next appointment you will only have an exam and that's the only thing to concentrate on right now. Talk to your dentist and you will find solutions to anything.

Hope you have find a good practice and told them about your fears so they can take a good care of you and put you at ease.

Oh and the gap.. I am so sorry for your stupid school mates and what you have been through and I understand what it caused to your self-confidence. But you know, what? You can already celebrate your first win - you have made an apppointment- and believe me, after every further step you will feel stronger and stronger. By the way there are so many celebrities who just look incredibly attractive with a gap!

Keep us updated and again: well done! You know, there are so many people with dental fear out there, who haven't had the courage to make an appointment yet and you already are a role model for them :)

Good luck tomorrow!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your kindness. I felt like such an idiot sobbing on the phone just to make the appointment. The receptionist was nice and patient with me which helped but made me cry more a bit, sort of like if someone asks if you’re okay it makes you cry more!

I’m like this still with needles when I go to donate blood, the ladies know me now and know that seconds before they need to put it in my arm I’ll burst into tears and they just let me get it out for a minute and I’m fine. I’ve always compared it to a pan of water boiling with the lid on and it starts rattling, then once the lid is lifted the water calms right down. Sounds a bit weird, I’m hoping I’ll be the same here and maybe I’ll need to sob for a minute then be able to go ahead.

All I want is to be able to smile and laugh without a hand over my mouth or have a conversation without feeling like I’m knocking someone out with my breath. I’ve read a lot of stories on here and really want to believe that my teeth aren’t as bad as I fear they are. I’ve seen photos online of super extreme cases that are worse than mine which sometimes makes me feel better but then I see some people posting photos of their ‘before’ when that would be my dream ‘after’.

Potentially a sleepless night ahead :(

Dear Scaredygap,

welcome and thank you very much for sharing your story! And well done for having picked the courage to make an appointment!

Well now you have probably noticed that this forum is full of lovely beautiful souls like you who try to beat their fear and that this journey is not all plain sailing (actually it is quite scary most of the time and you for sure have read all the success stories and journals so you know how we all want to excape through windows in the waiting room, cancel the appointment in the last moment ans so on - I guess it's just a part of the journey:)

But: you have made the first step and that's the most important thing! And now you have a great comunity behind you and we all are with you, will love to support you anytime you need it and we believe in you!

Don't worry about the pain - dentistry nowadays is painfree. And don't worry about the cost - there are always options and you know, just try to go just one step at a time. At the next appointment you will only have an exam and that's the only thing to concentrate on right now. Talk to your dentist and you will find solutions to anything.

Hope you have find a good practice and told them about your fears so they can take a good care of you and put you at ease.

Oh and the gap.. I am so sorry for your stupid school mates and what you have been through and I understand what it caused to your self-confidence. But you know, what? You can already celebrate your first win - you have made an apppointment- and believe me, after every further step you will feel stronger and stronger. By the way there are so many celebrities who just look incredibly attractive with a gap!

Keep us updated and again: well done! You know, there are so many people with dental fear out there, who haven't had the courage to make an appointment yet and you already are a role model for them :)

Good luck tomorrow!

Good luck at the dentist, even though I go regularly to the dentist, some of your story about eating mirrors mine, I am scared to eat certain foods because I am worried I will break my teeth and damage my fillings.

Hi Scaredygap,

How did you appointment go?

Hi all, so I went to my appointment... I didn’t tell any friends or family I was going as I wasn’t sure I’d actually make it there...

Things aren’t as bad as I anticipated. The priority is cleaning off a huge amount of tartar behind my bottom front teeth and little bits elsewhere. I’m really worried about this as I’ve had it for years and feel like my teeth are going to feel really exposed when it’s gone. Does that sound stupid? I feel like I’ll accidentally bite or do something and knock them out. I know it obviously has to go but I’m very nervous about it.

She had a poke about my gums with a sort of spike thing (?) and said there’s no actual disease it’s just superficial due to the build up. Once the cleaning is done they’ll start to heal and go back to pink. That’s massively reassuring as I’ve been convinced I’d have major periodontal disease and need bone grafts and all sorts. Goes to show - don’t google everything!

I do need four teeth pulled. They’re back teeth, and three of them are already broken away to barely anything anyway. I’ll also need four fillings at the back too (no idea I had that many teeth back there). She’s said white fillings are an option but because I’m so anxious and they’re at the back I’d be better with metal as they’re much faster to do.

We briefly spoke about closing the gap at the front. She said that once all of the above is done and my mouth is healthy again we can look at either braces or veneers to do this. Braces would be her preference, but she did say that veneers would mean the teeth around the front two could be made a bit bigger to be closer to the size of the big ones with veneers. Has anyone had any experience of veneers? I’ve heard horror stories about the filing down and eventually not being enough tooth left to replace them?

I’m feeling positive but still very worried. She suggested referring me to be sedated if I can’t cope with the work. She was very patient and understanding while I sobbed but also firm. She told me I need to work with her and focus on the end goal. Made my next appointment for the cleaning on the 11th December. Absolutely terrified but hopeful. ??

Well done for going to dentist and best of luck with the treatment

Hi again

So today is my cleaning appointment this afternoon. I’m absolutely terrified but I’m trying to convince myself this is exciting and it’ll all be worth it when everything is healthy and I can start properly thinking about cosmetic work to be able to smile.

I’m really worried about keeping my mouth open and letting the dentist do the work. I know that sounds silly but instinctively I just want to slam my mouth shut and I’m scared I’m going to hurt myself. I had a severe needle phobia for all my childhood and up until a few years ago and now I go to donate blood every few months to keep the fear at bay. (Selfish reasons but I guess it’s win win for everyone really!)

My concern is the tactics I use to distract myself while giving blood don’t really work at the dentist. I usually make incessant small talk with the nurses, sing a little song etc.

I desperately want to get through this and ultimately be confident in smiling and talking to people. Just so scared of everything :(

Hey Scaredygap,

congrats to your progress! And hey, you donate blood to keep your fear at bay???!!! I want to say: you are completely crazy, nobody does that! But the truth is: that's fantastic and amazingly impressive! Come on, girl, you can't get lost in the world, no matter how scary things are and not even a dental visit can beat you!

I can totally understand your fear of having to keep your mouth opened but your dentist seem to have experience and be fine with nervous patients so she must be used to such things (I myself have bitten into the fingers of my dentist very slightly once because of instinctively shutting my mouth in the middle of a treatment and nothing happened, he probably didn't even find it strange). I would talk to her and tell her about your worries, she will either be able to put you at ease or have some solution.

My observation about dental anxiety ist, that it's absolutely scary every time before the visit, a bit less scary but still scary during the visit and feels like no deal at all after the visit. I wished to have an relaxed appointment once but as soon as there are new things on every visit, it's just stressfull.

I love your way to deal with it, you seem to be aware of the fear but also keeping the perspective 'from above' where you know what you want and also know that you can go through. That's very strong.

And again.. donating blood!.. wow.. just wow..

Hey Scaredygap,

congrats to your progress! And hey, you donate blood to keep your fear at bay???!!! I want to say: you are completely crazy, nobody does that! But the truth is: that's fantastic and amazingly impressive! Come on, girl, you can't get lost in the world, no matter how scary things are and not even a dental visit can beat you!

I can totally understand your fear of having to keep your mouth opened but your dentist seem to have experience and be fine with nervous patients so she must be used to such things (I myself have bitten into the fingers of my dentist very slightly once because of instinctively shutting my mouth in the middle of a treatment and nothing happened, he probably didn't even find it strange). I would talk to her and tell her about your worries, she will either be able to put you at ease or have some solution.

My observation about dental anxiety ist, that it's absolutely scary every time before the visit, a bit less scary but still scary during the visit and feels like no deal at all after the visit. I wished to have an relaxed appointment once but as soon as there are new things on every visit, it's just stressfull.

I love your way to deal with it, you seem to be aware of the fear but also keeping the perspective 'from above' where you know what you want and also know that you can go through. That's very strong.

And again.. donating blood!.. wow.. just wow..

Thanks so much for your kindness!
I do it because I know the longer that passes between any sort of injections the more I build up the fear in my head whereas if I keep it relatively frequent then I can remember how painless it is and there’s nothing to be afraid of. Maybe I am mad haha.

I’m just so worried that the build up she’s removing is holding the teeth in. I don’t know if that’s weird? I’m convinced they’re just going to drop out even though she gave them a prod last time and said they’re not loose and my gums were “superficial”? I’m not sure what that means but she said to stop worrying about bone grafts and all sorts because they’re okay but it is important I get all the tartar removed or it’ll be a problem.

She offered to refer me for sedation but I feel like if I’m knocked out then maybe they’ll be less gentle and it’ll hurt for longer after? I’ve never had any sort of medical treatment tbh I’ve been really lucky, I’ve no experience of anaesthetics or anything. It just all seems like a lot and I feel like I’m being a baby about relatively routine things I should be okay with by now!

Well..... I failed.

I’m being referred for sedation because I can’t stop sobbing long enough to let her do any work.
I’m really disappointed in myself because I know how important this is but I just couldn’t let anything happen. I took a teddy along as a friend said it would help to have something to squeeze and I took my mouthwash to show the dentist and ask her opinion. She said it’s a good mouthwash and to use it after lunchtime so I get three cleans a day.

Granted this is all a bit pointless at the moment while I’ve got huge chunks of tartar in my mouth but eventually that’ll be good.

Feeling deflated, dehydrated from crying, and more embarrassed of my horrible mouth than ever.

You are very brave, you went and you had a plan and your tools to help you and you did your best!! no matter if it wasn't completed. you are brave!! and courageous for even stepping into the chair!!! please know that and don't be hard on yourself.. you are on your way...!!

I'm going out the door and wish I could write more encouragement but know you are taking all the steps in the right direction.. it is a very emotional and difficult thing sometimes .

You are very brave, you went and you had a plan and your tools to help you and you did your best!! no matter if it wasn't completed. you are brave!! and courageous for even stepping into the chair!!! please know that and don't be hard on yourself.. you are on your way...!!

I'm going out the door and wish I could write more encouragement but know you are taking all the steps in the right direction.. it is a very emotional and difficult thing sometimes .

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to say that!
I’m just so frustrated I couldn’t do better. The dentist is so nice and understanding and I feel like I’ve just wasted her time. I hate the thought she might think I don’t trust or like her or something because she’s genuinely really kind, I just can’t seem to let myself open my mouth and let her do the work.

I feel like I’ve got a ticking bomb in my mouth and me not being able to just let her do the treatment is making things worse for myself because the longer I can’t do it the worse my teeth will get.

I’m more annoyed than ever that I didn’t just go way way back when I was unhappy with them at first. I can’t do anything about that now of course but I just wish I’d cared as much then as I do now.

Like I said I’ve been really lucky in general health wise, so I think I’m finding this even more overwhelming. I was in a car accident last year which was considered quite bad as I was hit at high speed but I came away not requiring any scary treatment just some physio and counselling. The immediate aftermath was a terrifying blur of sirens etc but other than general checks for obvious injuries I didn’t have to be brave for anything major.

I know it sounds silly but I’d like a trial run of sedation so I know what to expect but I’m fairly certain that’s not an option haha. I’m scared of being sedated which is unfamiliar and also coming round to find my mouth feels so different too. It’s a lot at once :(

Scaredygap,

this is an insanely long post, but I just cannot help myself...

So sorry that the visit wasn't as you wished it to be. I can totally understand your feelings of disapointment over 'not being able' to let the treatment happen and also your embarassment, regret and insecurities / fear about the upcoming sedation. When I think of the stories here in forum and also my own experiences, I would say that this is very common and everyone on this journey goes through this emotions somewhere along the way.

Hopefully you feel a bit better now after proceeding a bit and having slept over it.

You say you feel frustrated you couldn't do better. You know, sometimes it's just not a matter of will or performance. This is not an exam you can prepare for and then do your best to pass. This is a very new situation you are trying to cope with as best as you can and there are just sooo many other factors that have influence on the situation. When you are in panic, your whole body works differently than normally, you do not have much control and every cell in your body is trying to protect you from the harm that it is expecting to happen (despite your logical brain knowing that you are safe). Of course you close your mouth. And of course you cry. This are reactions much odler than your mere will and you cannot blame yourself for it.

I am sure your dentist doesn't take it personally and is very aware that her kindnes is not the only thing that influences your emotional state. Having a kind dentist is very important and necessary, but it is not always sufficient for the anxiety to vanish. You will read a lot of stories here from people who have very kind dentists and enjoy dental care regularly, but are still terrified before every visit. This is obvious because no matter how kind the dentist is, there is still the treament and a lot of other stimuli that can be scary. Being nervous is no contradiction to trust. You made an appointment, you went through an exam, you came back for the second appointment, you made some actions to ease your anxiety (posting here, bringing a teddy with you) and you agreed to get the sedation -> that's all trust. And she knows it, believe me.

I understand your regret about not taking care of the issues earlier but I believe this: at every point in your life you have done exactly that what you believed was the best for you in that stage and with the information you had at that point. You are a lot wiser and braver now and you have grown a lot but it is just unfair to look back with all the experiences you have now and blame your past you who hadn't this experiences, for not taking action. We are always wiser afterwards.
You have gone through a lot of pain in your past, do not blame yourself. Celebrate yourself for making it to the other side and taking care of yourself now because not everyone achieves that.

Do not think of the sedation as a failiure. See it like this: If you want to get a plate or a glas or any other object from the shelf that is a bit too high, what options do you have? You can try to stretch, get on the tips of your feet, climb.. risking losing your stability and get the object just to come off right after you got it and damage both - yourself and the object.
Or you can just get a ladder or a chair to step on it and get the object comfortably and quickly.
Now would it be a failure to get a ladder?

Sedation is not a failiure, maybe it is just the option that fits the best for you at the moment, just for the start. And after that you can go on with your journey. Maybe after your teeth are nice and clean, you feel more able to go through future treatments much more stressfree.

So please see it as a beginning of the journey and don't judge yourself. On the contrary - celebrate all the steps you have gone through til now. Remember, there was a time where even calling a dental practice was hard..

When you look at some old posts here you will find out that the most people were scared of sedation but reported it to be a very smooth and pleasant experience afterwards. I totally get your wish about the test trial. Hopefully you can get a good consultation about the procedure beforehand and a great dental team to ease your fears.

Scaredygap,

this is an insanely long post, but I just cannot help myself...

So sorry that the visit wasn't as you wished it to be. I can totally understand your feelings of disapointment over 'not being able' to let the treatment happen and also your embarassment, regret and insecurities / fear about the upcoming sedation. When I think of the stories here in forum and also my own experiences, I would say that this is very common and everyone on this journey goes through this emotions somewhere along the way.

Hopefully you feel a bit better now after proceeding a bit and having slept over it.

You say you feel frustrated you couldn't do better. You know, sometimes it's just not a matter of will or performance. This is not an exam you can prepare for and then do your best to pass. This is a very new situation you are trying to cope with as best as you can and there are just sooo many other factors that have influence on the situation. When you are in panic, your whole body works differently than normally, you do not have much control and every cell in your body is trying to protect you from the harm that it is expecting to happen (despite your logical brain knowing that you are safe). Of course you close your mouth. And of course you cry. This are reactions much odler than your mere will and you cannot blame yourself for it.

I am sure your dentist doesn't take it personally and is very aware that her kindnes is not the only thing that influences your emotional state. Having a kind dentist is very important and necessary, but it is not always sufficient for the anxiety to vanish. You will read a lot of stories here from people who have very kind dentists and enjoy dental care regularly, but are still terrified before every visit. This is obvious because no matter how kind the dentist is, there is still the treament and a lot of other stimuli that can be scary. Being nervous is no contradiction to trust. You made an appointment, you went through an exam, you came back for the second appointment, you made some actions to ease your anxiety (posting here, bringing a teddy with you) and you agreed to get the sedation -> that's all trust. And she knows it, believe me.

I understand your regret about not taking care of the issues earlier but I believe this: at every point in your life you have done exactly that what you believed was the best for you in that stage and with the information you had at that point. You are a lot wiser and braver now and you have grown a lot but it is just unfair to look back with all the experiences you have now and blame your past you who hadn't this experiences, for not taking action. We are always wiser afterwards.
You have gone through a lot of pain in your past, do not blame yourself. Celebrate yourself for making it to the other side and taking care of yourself now because not everyone achieves that.

Do not think of the sedation as a failiure. See it like this: If you want to get a plate or a glas or any other object from the shelf that is a bit too high, what options do you have? You can try to stretch, get on the tips of your feet, climb.. risking losing your stability and get the object just to come off right after you got it and damage both - yourself and the object.
Or you can just get a ladder or a chair to step on it and get the object comfortably and quickly.
Now would it be a failure to get a ladder?

Sedation is not a failiure, maybe it is just the option that fits the best for you at the moment, just for the start. And after that you can go on with your journey. Maybe after your teeth are nice and clean, you feel more able to go through future treatments much more stressfree.

So please see it as a beginning of the journey and don't judge yourself. On the contrary - celebrate all the steps you have gone through til now. Remember, there was a time where even calling a dental practice was hard..

When you look at some old posts here you will find out that the most people were scared of sedation but reported it to be a very smooth and pleasant experience afterwards. I totally get your wish about the test trial. Hopefully you can get a good consultation about the procedure beforehand and a great dental team to ease your fears.

Hi,
Sorry I took longer than I usually would to reply but I honestly wasn’t sure where to start. Thank you so much for the understanding and kind reply. I feel like I really needed those words today and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to write such a helpful post.

I haven’t cried today however I’ve thought about my teeth and mouth constantly. The dentist said that it may be a couple of months before I hear back from the referral and I’m constantly thinking what might change in there in that time. It’s not rational given I’ve had the tartar there for years and the broken teeth for just as long but now someone has officially told me what needs done I feel like it’s on fast forward and not having it all done yesterday is going to make everything fall out. Brains are strange things at times. :/

All I want is to be able to smile and confidently talk to people. I want the gappy awkward sized teeth that have ruined everything gone, I want to feel like someone might actually even find me pretty and I could have a family in the future. I know I’m being dramatic but right now I can’t see me ever getting married or having a relationship at all because I don’t smile and when I do it’s so unattractive, how would I even meet anyone and have them want to get to know me.

I hope I hear about the sedation sooner rather than later because now that I’ve taken the first step I just want to be at the end and enjoying life. My iron count was 1mg too low last time I went to donate blood which isn’t low in the slightest it’s just because they have to set a high limit to make sure you’ll be okay afterwards, so now I just feel like I can’t do anything right.

Sorry to go off on a whinge again :sigh: :(

Hi Scaredy gap! (great username by the way!)

I just wanted to pitch in and say I really sympathise with you. But remember, you DID NOT fail. You were brave and strong, strong enough to realise in yourself that you need sedation for the dental work. You're not weak for not being able to have it done completely conscious, you're brave for wanting to try something you never have done before. That takes a huge amount of character.

I was scared shitless when I had sedation. Also, before I forget another option may be to ask for some diazepam (valium) from your doctor/GP (sorry I don't know where you're based!). I know, I know, both of these things sound so invasive and scary. You imagine losing control of yourself when you're sedated, and tbh that is sort of what happens but what was a comfort to me was remembering it was for a medical purpose. They weren't sedating me because they wanted me to move less/not scream/not bother them during surgery/because they have a perverted interest in torturing people who are semi conscious. There is a point where anxiety becomes something medical - something that can be medically treated for your own peace of mind/reduction of trauma during the dental surgery. A phobia should be taken very seriously, and is not just 'a bit nervous'. That is why they offer sedation and diazepam. It is part of the medical process. Your state of mind is as important to them as your dental health. Dentists are kind and caring (well most of them) and want you to have as little trauma as possible.

You mentioned trust - well, trust takes time. If you haven't been to the dentist in a while I'm not surprised it takes time to trust someone. Please try to slow down a little - yes you have started on this journey towards better dental health - and well done you! - but it's going to take time, both physically and mentally. Perhaps you could get some counselling or talk to someone in person about all this? I also suggest phoning the samaritans (my apologies again if you are not in the UK) on 116 123, they are amazing, kind people. I have never phoned them up and not come away feeling peaceful inside.

Sorry, jumping around a bit - as for the sedation itself, I think you mentioned that you'd think they'd be less gentle if you were knocked out. Sedation is not the same as being fully unconscious, although you tend to remember little of what happened afterwards. So of course they will be gentle! Because you will be able to respond to them so they will know if they are doing something uncomfortable.

Also you asked what sedation is like. I can tell you my experience. They do insert a needle, but it is very small and I didn't look at it and it felt very unobtrusive :) She injected the sedation in and I remember feeling - strange... or something... for about half a second then nothing until the recovery room. After that I was just a bit tired/wobbly on my feet. It was much less traumatic than I thought and honestly a god send, none of the complications/ dangers of GA with the same kind of memory loss of the surgery? - yes please!!

One final note - DO NOT WATCH OR RESEARCH ANYTHING DENTAL RELATED ON YOUTUBE!!! No videos of people sedated, no videos of dental surgeries, NOTHING you will just FREAK YOURSELF OUT.

Wishing you all the best. (and merry christmas!)

p.s. bears are the freakin' best man, take in as many as you like! I know I want to! :bear:

Hello and a very Happy New Year to you. Firstly many congratulations on the huge success you have achieved so far; I also know how difficult it can be to simply get through the door and into the surgery. I would like to concur with others who have written that indeed, sedation is certainly not a sign of failure; although long term it is always preferable to avoid drugs where possible, in your case as you have not had anything done for many years, this is a perfectly good and safe tool to use; far better that you get the work done in comfort than avoiding any longer. You will see that I had been having sedation even for regular cleaning for many years, and with no adverse effects from doing so. However, it is very expensive and so I have now been going through the process of weaning myself off this safety net and going it awake. My recent first cleaning actually went very well and I am amazed at the difference it has already made to my life! I am of course a little apprehensive of what is to follow but am confident enough that the lovely little practice I have found will do their best to help and support me on my journey. Good luck and we are all routing for you! Simon XX :)

Hello again - thank you everyone for your kind words and I’m sorry I didn’t reply to thank you sooner!

The bad news is I’m still waiting. I got an appointment for mid April for the sedation then got a letter a week before saying they’d had to move it due to “unforeseen circumstances” and it’s now the end of June.

I’m honestly not sure I can wait that long. Every so often I feel like one of my front top teeth and the little one next to it are sort of pushing against eachother and it feels like the big one is just going to drop out. It’s not wobbly or visibly loose just that pressure is freaking me out.

I don’t know what to do, it’s consuming every waking thought I have but I know if I go back to the regular dentist I’ll likely just break down again and feel even worse.

I know I’m jumping to conclusions and leaping ahead of myself but I just keep thinking what if. I feel like everyone around me is moving forward in their relationships and achieving things and I’m never going to meet someone because nobody will want to talk to me with these horrible teeth. I’ve been soul searching a lot and want to progress to do nursing but again feel like I can’t because a patient won’t take me seriously if I look like this. I can’t smile and comfort someone without them being disgusted by it so what hope is that for a nurse.

I’ve no idea where to go from here, it’s almost two months until my appointment and it just feels like that’s only an assessment so who knows how long it’ll be before anything can be done at all.

:(

26 and never been to a dentist falls under child neglect and while you were younger would be reportable offense.
Of course this isn't your fault at all. You have been placed into a bad situation. I think it is admirable that you are working on getting care. Good luck and never give up.

Hi everyone

Sorry I haven’t provided any update in this thread. I know from my browsing through others how frustrating it can be looking for reassurance to find someone with similar stories to yours hasn’t updated!

My first IV sedation appointment is on Tuesday. I’m honestly going from completely flat out panicked to “it’s going to be okay” every five minutes or so. I’m not exceptionally great with needles but have really gotten better in recent years and try to donate blood regularly to keep my fear at bay. Maybe makes me sound a bit like a masochist but I find doing some of the things that make me nervous somewhat regularly keeps me reminded that it’s not as bad as I think. If I go a long time without having any injections or needles I tend to find my imagination runs wild and I’m back to thinking it might kill me again.

I’ve never ever been unwell beyond a common cold so haven’t had any need for actual medical treatment. I think this is what’s making me more nervous is I’ve no experience of any sedation, anaesthetic, recovery or anything at all.

I’m also still so worried that the bottom front teeth which have a really horrific amount of tartar build up are going to just drop out when that’s removed. Sometimes I feel two of them sort of click or move? I found another thread which discussed this and everyone sort of said it’s a common feeling but nobody really knows why or what it is. I also still sometimes feel that weird pressure around two of the top front ones. It was very often for a while but the last few weeks it has been hardly ever. It’s not painful, just feels like they’re pushing together or something? Then it goes away like they’ve moved apart.

I’m really scared about talking strangely afterwards. Because I’ve had so much buildup I feel like I will take time to get used to where my tongue goes when talking and people are going to think “why is she struggling with those letters it was just a cleaning”

I don’t want to cancel the appointment or not go, but I’m struggling to see how I can get myself in the chair and let them put the IV in when I’m this anxious before I’m even there. Sigh.

Back