• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Never been to dentist. Fear is ruining my life

S

Somer1982

I need all the advice and help I can get. I’m terrified of the dentist. I’m 35 and have never been aside from a month ago and I couldn’t get the treatment done. Was given another antibiotic and that worked, however I need a tooth pulled and cavities that are bothering me filled. I have an anxiety disorder and am scared to try nitrous gas. Also don’t want to be sedated....... I’ve been in fear and dread since December. I don’t know how much longer I can do this.
I’m in a constant state of fear. It’s effecting my life.

I need all the advice and help I can get. I’m terrified of the dentist. I’m 35 and have never been aside from a month ago and I couldn’t get the treatment done. Was given another antibiotic and that worked, however I need a tooth pulled and cavities that are bothering me filled. I have an anxiety disorder and am scared to try nitrous gas. Also don’t want to be sedated....... I’ve been in fear and dread since December. I don’t know how much longer I can do this.
I’m in a constant state of fear. It’s effecting my life.

Hi Somer1982,

Good for you for taking the hard and big first step of going to the dentist - well done! Are you taking any medication for your anxiety disorder? If so, perhaps, you can talk to your family physician about a prescription for an increase of an anti-anxiety medication prior to your appointment.

Also, did you like the experience you had at the dentist you visited? If so, great! Talk to them about your concerns and I'm sure they will be able to go slowly and walk you through the procedures. If you did not like your dentist, find another one! There are plenty of great ones out there who can meet your needs.

The University of Minnesota has a dental school that may be helpful to you as students are very concerned about their patients and work is done very slowly because every step needs to be checked off by a supervisor. The work is slow but quality is good. Let me know if you have any questions as I'm happy to help!

I couldn’t follow through with any work when I went so they gave me an antibiotic.
I went in today and set up a practice procedure to see if that makes me more comfortable... I keep picturing bad things. I’d rather not go to U OF M because I want a skilled dentist for a tooth pull when I finally do it.

Can you get counseling to help face this anxiety courageously?

There is something called an exposure hierarchy that would really help you.

I encourage age to call 211 (if you are in America) and tell them what you told us.

You should make make that call today, now, even.

I couldn’t follow through with any work when I went so they gave me an antibiotic.
I went in today and set up a practice procedure to see if that makes me more comfortable... I keep picturing bad things. I’d rather not go to U OF M because I want a skilled dentist for a tooth pull when I finally do it.

I'm a new dental office manager as of February after a completely different career for 9 years because of the great experiences I've had with my dentist. She not only fixed my teeth but fixed my life!

What do you mean by "practice procedure"? Please let me know if you have any further questions, I'm happy to help.

Back