• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New and Need to address issue

muso

muso

Hi all I'm new here, I have just read a few threads and Felt for the first time that I am not alone in my quest to get my Tooth decay issue sorted.

I am 45..A bit about my problem..as a child my teeth were in pretty good shape but started to degrade to a stage where I was mocked in school and had a realy bad time due to my teeth being bad..add to this the bad decision by a dentist to extract 4 of my front teeth and give me a denture at age 13 just made the matter worse and the dentists were animals so I put my problem down to this..I don't have a massive phobia about going to see the dentist I think as i read here that I am more embarassed as I haven,t seen one in about 20 years..My teeth are at the moment just lost fillings, my chewing teeth on both sides(middle) are the worst, I have no pain though,I will definately need a new denture...bottom front are in pretty good shape wierdly enough as are most of the bottom..Its just a bit of a mess realy and i know i should go but I realy don't want to be embarrased and treated like an idiot..I had this before...I know things must have changed over these years but I haven't spoken to anyone about it till now..I am going on holiday next year abroad and want to have a nice smile and taste food properly..

Sorry for the long story...I realy want to do it but old feelings are stopping me..

Peace.

Hi Muso!

Embarrassment seems to be a common thread among many of us here.
My dentist visits were always at least five years apart because of my fear.
My teeth were in horrible shape. Decay, broken down to the gum line, loose teeth.
I knew I had to do something when a front tooth fell out and the one next to it loosened up.
The toothaches, infection, and pain had become unbearable.
I couldn't enjoy my honeymoon because of my dental problems.
I had a hard time enjoying a trip to Hawaii to see my dgter get married because of the mouth pain.
Thank God for this forum! I thought I was alone with this fear but I was so wrong.
I read here and did some research before finally making an appt.
I was so ashamed....I hated to even open my mouth for the first exam.
But the dentist and team I went to are the best.
They assured me that they had seen much worse cases.
I was told quite a few years ago that I would need dentures and I knew the time had come.
I'm past all that now and do have a new smile.
I had 16 extractions and immediate dentures in.
I expected the worse but it was totally pain free.
I just regret not doing it sooner!

Hope you make that call soon, muso!

Sally

:welcome:

Thank you Sally:XXLhug:..I appreciate your reply and I can see its people like you who will help my decision ...I realy want to take that first step..I have been reading into dentists in the area who are cool..I have found one recommended here..But as always the longest journey starts with the smallest of steps...this may take time:shame:.

Hi, Muso! :welcome:

Nobody's going to treat you like an idiot. Keep reading the success stories here on the forum. So many felt just like you do now, and were so relieved to finally get the care they needed.

Take baby steps. You've made the first posting here. The next is to make that first appointment. You can do it, we can help you. Finding the right dentist for you will make all the difference in the world and you'll soon find yourself with a healthy new mouth and a smile to be proud of.

Don't let embarrassment keep you from getting dental care. There's no need to be embarrassed, whichever dentist you choose will have seen much worse and work with it every day. That's what they're there for! :)

Good luck... we're standing behind you! :hug2:

Thanks ..I realy am getting a good vibe from here...So many success stories you guys are great..hope I can do you justice soon:)

Hey Muso!

There is a good vibe here, we are all here to support each other! Some have been through it and come through the other end, some like me are still getting through the treatment and others are just new to it like you but we all have or in some cases had at least one thing in common.....the fear!!

You won't be treated like an idiot, take a little time to find a good dentist believe me its worth it. Visit surgeries, make phonecalls or emails until you find one you are comfortable with. My dentist has never made me feel stupid or told me off, even when I have been in floods of tears or freaking out and covering my mouth to stop him!! :giggle: He is patient and kind because he wants to help me get better and help me get over the fear. These kind non judgemental dentists do exist! I really reallly wish I hadn't left it so long now.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Hi Muso<

I agree with the others...you have come to the right place. Everyone is so supportive of each other and that helps so much. Takwe things one step at a time because that is the best way to get thru it all.

Read the success stories and the journals on this site because they help so much!

Best of luck to you:)

Embarrassment is a very common dental fear, hence the above link.

A dentist from the Finder on here who has been recommended by a fellow poster is likely to be clued in as to how long-term non-attenders feel...all dentists should be really since it is not rocket science....for the most part though, the judgemental attitudes do largely seem to be a thing of the past.

Some people find it helpful 'to get in first' and say...'it is embarrassment which has kept me away so please do not make any negative remarks about the state of my teeth...I know they are bad etc etc.

In most cases though dentists know you have come to them for help not criticism and let's face it if everyone had perfect teeth they'd be out of a job.
Good luck.

Wow Thank you all..:XXLhug:..I will make the first steps and see how it goes..I will keep you informed but I may hesitate so forgive me if I Dither:shame:

That's good to hear, Muso!

Just remember, however, "He who hesitates pays a larger dentist bill."
Okay, so not a famous quote, but I've found it to be true too many times. :p

Just keep moving forward. Like you have any choice with all of us at your back, right? ;)

Thanks Cielo...You rock..I am, due to people like yourself making an appointment for a recommended dentist in my area that I believe understands our concerns....I will be making it for a weeks time when I have some dough...I think I will need a bit of that:cry:..I realy hope it goes well...:(

That's great, Muso! It sounds like you might have found the right dentist. :jump:

Let us know how it goes and when your appointment is so we can rally 'round, okay?

:grouphug:

Wow well done Muso!! That is 2 steps gone!!

Keep us updated as to when the appointment is and how it goes!

I most deffinately will ..thank you:XXLhug:

My appointment is the 6.10.09 its the last appointment of the day so thats a bit better...I will go....and I will let you good people know,,:XXLhug:.

:shame: My first appointment is tomorrow..o.m.g that came around quickly...feeling very apprehensive of what will occur...I will go...I just need to get over this hurdle...:shame:

I'm so glad that you're going finally, muso. I know you're dreading it but it won't be nearly as bad as you think. My own teeth were in horrible shape and I had a hard time opening my mouth for the initial examination. But the dentist assured me that he had seen MUCH worse. You're going to do just fine. Please post and let us know how it goes.... :hug2:

Sally

Hi Muso:

Way to go in making the appointment and deciding to keep it. It takes a lot of courage to face your fears. I am sure you will do great. The first appointment is a good one as you get to know the dentist and explore options.

Let us know about your success.

Blessings :)

:jump:Only one more day!
I hope your appointment goes well and you get some good news.

Let us know, okay?

:jump:Only one more day!
I hope your appointment goes well and you get some good news.

Let us know, okay?

Thank you,,,you all are so kind...I will report back:XXLhug:

Back