• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New and scared

P

Poet

Hi, I'm new posting here, but have been lurking for a while.

I'm in my 40s and have had problems with my teeth since I was a child. A combination of genetics ( my parents have problem teeth), antibiotics as a child for years (I had a heart issue), bad diet growing up and bad dentistry as a kid have lead to me losing teeth very young and having gaps, root canal treatment and crowns since I was a teen.

I've avoided the dentist for a while, but finally went to a new one today, as I lost an inlay last week and knew I had to go. The dentist was very kind, but I need so much work done and I just can't face going back. I couldn't even let him clean my teeth today. I need some courage and understanding. He gave me the option of sedation, but it costs £300 an hour and to be honest I'm scared of needles too.

I know I need to go back, but I don't know how I can even bring myself to make another appointment at this time. How did you all work up the courage to get your treatment done? I'm feeling so sad.

Hello Poet, I don't have any very useful advice, but what drives me on is the thought of the freedom from anxiety about my teeth - that they will be clean and sound, and that I can eat what I like and smile with confidence. The end result, in short; keep that in the forefront of your mind until it becomes more important to you than the fear. I'm very scared of needles too, but the right dentist can help you gain confidence and learn to tolerate what you are afraid of now.

Hi there,

I, too, am telling myself every time I'm in that chair... This is one more step towards not having fear or pain all the time anymore. Is it mentally taxing? Yes. Does it help to come here and talk it out? Totally.

Thank you both. I actually phoned the dentist back after posting. Just writing things down really helped. I now have booked in to have my teeth cleaned. We're going to see how I cope without sedation having that done and take it from there. The dentist has said all the treatment I need done could take up to a year which is a bit scary, but I think focusing on the end result is helpful.

My big problem is overthinking and ending up panicking and very anxious. I do struggle with depression and anxiety on a daily basis. I am just hoping I don't have a panic attack while in the chair.

Thank you again for replying xx

I think you have done a very brave thing just speaking about your fears, it took me a lot of lurking before I dared to write anything. Now you have taken another step forward towards your end result! So happy for you.

Thank you thecatsmother. I appreciate your kind words. I'm still feeling very scared, but being on this forum is helping.

How did it go today Poet?

How did it go today Poet?

Thank you so much for remembering and checking on me. It was tough, but I did it! It was quite uncomfortable at times, but I concentrated on my breathing and just tried to think how much better my teeth will be. My dentist was very kind and kept checking on me too.

I have booked to have the first filling done next week without sedation and hopefully will get through it ok. I am just so happy that I have been able to make a start after years of fear and discomfort.

Thank you again for being so sweet. I appreciate it so much. I hope you're doing ok too ?.

You are most welcome. I'm so glad it went well and your courage kept you going through your appointment. The end result will be well worth it! ?

Well done for getting through the first part. I think it helps to know what needs to be done and when it will be done so you can get your head around the plan of action and focus on one bit at a time.

For me its the build up thats the worst - so the days before a check up (ill be anxious and panicky about what they will tell me, will I lose my teeth etc), then ill feel calmer when I know what's needed but the anxiety comes back before the Next appointment if I need treatment as I will work myself up about whether it will hurt etc . The important thing to try and focus on is that its never as bad as you think its going to be.

You've made the first step and that's a huge achievement, lots of luck with your next appointment, you'll be fine x

Thank you so much for remembering and checking on me. It was tough, but I did it! It was quite uncomfortable at times, but I concentrated on my breathing and just tried to think how much better my teeth will be. My dentist was very kind and kept checking on me too.

I have booked to have the first filling done next week without sedation and hopefully will get through it ok. I am just so happy that I have been able to make a start after years of fear and discomfort.

Thank you again for being so sweet. I appreciate it so much. I hope you're doing ok too ?.
Very very well done Poet .superb news. I myself hadn't been to a dentist in 30 years until December there ?.. iam the same the anxiety and over thinking is horrendous but I know it needs to be done because my teeth are in a bad state ...I have alot of work to be done ...get some teeth out nxt Wednesday and a filling ? so the overthinking and anxiety has started

It's mad the way you over think ... Tbh don't think I'll ever get over the process of anxiety.. I've suffered from depression and addiction for years aswell ....but I keep telling myself this needs to be done, I can do this ...

It's great to have a site like this for support and I hope everything goes well in the future keep us updated

Well done for getting through the first part. I think it helps to know what needs to be done and when it will be done so you can get your head around the plan of action and focus on one bit at a time.

For me its the build up thats the worst - so the days before a check up (ill be anxious and panicky about what they will tell me, will I lose my teeth etc), then ill feel calmer when I know what's needed but the anxiety comes back before the Next appointment if I need treatment as I will work myself up about whether it will hurt etc . The important thing to try and focus on is that its never as bad as you think its going to be.

You've made the first step and that's a huge achievement, lots of luck with your next appointment, you'll be fine x
Iam exactly the same your not alone with the anxiety and overthinking every time , that's why I stayed away from the dentist for 30 years until December there ?...tbh don't think I'll ever get over this ...but try and cope with it and keep telling me this needs to be done , you can do this ..look after your health.
Even had a wisdom tooth taken out December 16th ..was horrendous the anxiety and over thinking, not sleeping & not eating .. I was in and out inside 15 minutes ? couldn't believe it never felt a thing
But now the over thinking and anxiety has begun again dam you , I go back next Wednesday for 2 more to be taken out and a filling ?..this is just the start of my treatment to give me a smile back ..alot more to do , crowns bridges , root canal ...can't wait for it to be all over tbh

Thank you for your comments. I have had two fillings now, but it was very hard. For some reason I have a hard time getting numb, so I kept having to stop the dentist and ask for more injections. The dentist did listen to me and stop when I asked, but now I'm terrified of going back. I need a root canal and two crowns done next and I'm so scared it's going to be painful. I think I may have to cancel, as I can't sleep or function properly right now. It's all I can think about.

Sorry to be so negative. I hope you are all doing better than me.
How did you appointment go Jay?

Thank you for your comments. I have had two fillings now, but it was very hard. For some reason I have a hard time getting numb, so I kept having to stop the dentist and ask for more injections. The dentist did listen to me and stop when I asked, but now I'm terrified of going back. I need a root canal and two crowns done next and I'm so scared it's going to be painful. I think I may have to cancel, as I can't sleep or function properly right now. It's all I can think about.

Sorry to be so negative. I hope you are all doing better than me.
How did you appointment go Jay?
Very well done to you..tbh I never felt a thing when my wisdom tooth got pulled last month , I hope it's the same for the rest of my treatment,. Everybody is different dentists know this .... But you did it which is great you have to look at it that way
I don't go until tomorrow at 2pm Poet ? for 2 extractions and a filling , dreading it already tbh , anxiety gone mad , no sleep or food , bit depressed thinking about it
But I have to go ,, I keep saying this to myself
You should do the same Poet ?..... I the same have to get a root canal & crowns done in the near future plus some bridges

But it's just the waiting that builds the anxiety up really bad for me ...madness

Thank you. Good luck for tomorrow. The anxiety is horrible...Just keep thinking this time tomorrow evening you'll have got through it. I hope it goes well for you.

Hello Poet, I'm really sorry that you had problems. I've never had this kind of trouble (touch wood), no wonder you're apprehensive. it sounds as though your dentist is great though, and did all he could to keep you comfortable.
Good luck for tomorrow Jay!

Hello Poet, we've got a page which explains why numbing may not work here:

We've actually got a newer version of that page, but it's not live yet... we're going to update the website soon... I could send you a link to it via PM if you like?

Thank you. Good luck for tomorrow. The anxiety is horrible...Just keep thinking this time tomorrow evening you'll have got through it. I hope it goes well for you.
Thanks poet , really appreciate that ?..ye it's the worst just constant none stop worrying and over thinking but that's just the way iam wired ??.... And again thanks ...I'll be on again no doubt before I go tomorrow

Hello Poet, we've got a page which explains why numbing may not work here:

We've actually got a newer version of that page, but it's not live yet... we're going to update the website soon... I could send you a link to it via PM if you like?

Thank you...I did read through it, but all I can think is that it's my anxiety causing it not to work. I'm wondering whether I should opt for sedation next time.

Sedation really helped me get through an extraction and root canal. I do recommend it if you are fearful of the injection not working or having to sit through the appt. I’m so lucky my insurance covers it but I would honestly pay out of pocket for it if I had to.

Back