• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New and scared

Thank you...I did read through it, but all I can think is that it's my anxiety causing it not to work. I'm wondering whether I should opt for sedation next time.

You don't happen to be anywhere near Welwyn Garden City? (London is a big place)

We do have a few recommendations around the greater London area for dentists who have a special interest in local anaesthesia techniques

Sedation really helped me get through an extraction and root canal. I do recommend it if you are fearful of the injection not working or having to sit through the appt. I’m so lucky my insurance covers it but I would honestly pay out of pocket for it if I had to.

Thank you for replying. I did actually cancel my next appointment today as my anxiety is too much right now. The dentist is going to phone me back so we can discuss me having the treatment done under sedation. I feel a bit silly for having to cancel the appointment, but I don't think there's anyway I could even sit in the dentist chair right now.
It's reassuring to hear it worked for you.

You don't happen to be anywhere near Welwyn Garden City? (London is a big place)

We do have a few recommendations around the greater London area for dentists who have a special interest in local anaesthesia techniques

Strangely enough that's where I was born! I live about an hour's drive from there now. I've actually cancelled my next appointment as my anxiety has gone into overdrive. My dentist is going to call me back to discuss having the treatment done under sedation. I appreciate your messages though. Thanks.

Don’t feel silly, you recognized and set a boundary that you were comfortable with. We must be kind with ourselves when dealing with our fear. It’s not rational, doesn’t make sense. I understand your anxiety, I have an appt on Monday I really want to follow up with, but I think I’m going to have to get referred for sedation for the rest of my fillings. I really wanna get the work done and actually show up for my appts, and sedation makes it just a tiny bit easier for me to do that. I have to do what is best for me, and you for yourself. Good for you for trying to find your way through and what works. I hope to do appts with no sedation again soon, but I just can’t right now. And you know what? That’s OK!

Don’t feel silly, you recognized and set a boundary that you were comfortable with. We must be kind with ourselves when dealing with our fear. It’s not rational, doesn’t make sense. I understand your anxiety, I have an appt on Monday I really want to follow up with, but I think I’m going to have to get referred for sedation for the rest of my fillings. I really wanna get the work done and actually show up for my appts, and sedation makes it just a tiny bit easier for me to do that. I have to do what is best for me, and you for yourself. Good for you for trying to find your way through and what works. I hope to do appts with no sedation again soon, but I just can’t right now. And you know what? That’s OK!

Thank you so much for your kindness and support. It really helps. My appointment was also for Monday, but I feel so much better now it's cancelled. I just hope the sedation works for me and helps me through the dental work I need done.
Well done to you for continuing with your treatment ?.

Well, I'm still waiting for the dentist to call me back. I've called three times now. I'm wondering whether I can request my x-rays and just go somewhere else...

The receptionists do not come across as kind at all. I feel like I'm being a nuisance and the one I spoke to today started laughing when I explained my problem...I just feel rubbish. It takes me about two hours to pick up the courage to even phone them...

I'm so sorry this has happened to you, Poet. The receptionist you spoke to was unprofessional and unsympathetic. Thankfully, not everyone is like this. There are other dental practices out there who would treat you with respect and kindness, if you do decide to vote with your feet.

Back