• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New and Terrified

G

Former Member
Hi, I just found this board.  I am of course, terrified of the dentist but I know I need to make an appointment soon.  I have some broken teeth in the back, I need a crown, I have some wearing away in one area at the gumline (also making me terrified of a cleaning).  When I smile it doesn't look like there is anything wrong, but there is as most of my issues are in my jaw teeth.  Anyways, point is, I need to go before I end up with an infection somewhere making any procedures worse.  I'm terrified, I can cry sometimes thinking about it.  I went a few years ago because I HAD to for one procedure but I haven't been back since and at the time the Dr. said I'd better come back soon.......3 yrs later.  Anyways, I'm just looking for some like minded people, I need the courage to make that first appointment, but I'm just terrified.  

Hi Lisa,

I can totally relate to where your coming from as I have been terrified for many years now, I have struggled to come to terms with the fact that I needed to see a dentist and finally plucked up the courage to go an see one, without meaning to scare you more this was an awful visit and I didnt go back as he made me feel ashamed and embarased about the fact I am phobic, I didnt let this man get in my way though and I started researching dental practices that could possible help me. I emailed my local NHS hospital and asked if they could help and they put me in touch with another local dentist, i made the appointment and i went today, I had no work done but i feel that this man is the one for me! He listened, took time out to see what was wrong and even though I was in floods of tears he kept me calm and explained that he can help me as he has lots of experience with phobic people and he wants to help me overcome my fear. I have yet to make a proper appointment and although I am still very scared i know deep down that this man can help me. I was offered sedation as I need to have 3 teeth pulled out and although the thought of this scares me a little I know that I can trust this dentist to look after me in a way that a phobic patient needs to be looked after.

Do you have a dentist to go to or are you searching for one?

Hi Lisa :welcome:

i was going to ask you the same question ie are you looking for a dentist or going to use the one you went to last time?

You'll find all the support and helpful tips on here as we are all in the same boat, so keep posting your questions

Well, I do have a clinic to go to. When I went a few years ago there was a Dr. Carmicheal there who I loved loved loved!! But of course, she left shortly thereafter :cry: In the same clinic there is a Dr. Blakey who someone referred on the site, plus a girl I work with has a brother who is a dentist and she said he speaks highly of her. In case you are wondering why I won't see my friend's brother the dentist, it's because I prefer a female dentist.

In my mind I know it won't be as bad as I think but it's just having it all built up in my mind. I think my fear deals with loss of control, as in if something hurts will I be able to signal to stop them, plus I think there are definately claustrophibia issues involved. With 2 people completely in my face and my mouth wired open with God knows how many things stuffed in it, my initial reaction is panic. Not to mention that dental dam, I hate that!! One time it was an upper back jaw tooth and when they were setting up they kept repeating, "breathe through your nose.....it's very important to breathe through your nose..." The reason why is because it was wrapped around my tooth but it wasn't yet attached to the rest of the apparatus and they were doing, I don't know, setting up I guess, and if I had breathed through my mouth I would have sucked the balloon type thing down my throat!!!

Anyways, I guess I fear the back teeth the most, the front I'm not so phobic of. Go figure.

Thanks for the quick responses. It feels better to talk about!! I feel closer to and calmer about about making that first appointment already.

Lisa

Back