• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Dentures HELP

E

Emma9820

Hi there!

I had my temporary denture placed this past Wednesday( 5 days ago) I have two questions that I cannot find the answer to!

1- I am using seabond seals as an adhesive so that I don’t have to pry my denture off my healing gums. As much as I like the seals they come loose enough to feel them shifting after I eat. Can I add a powder adhesive along with the seals? Would I put the powder under or on top of the seal?

2- since having my extractions and immediate I have had a constant headache! Is it from the pressure? Adhesive? Is this normal? What can I do to stop it? It’s really really painful! My eye has been twitching also!!

This is worrying me because no matter what I do the headaches won’t stop! I just want to be comfortable.

Hi Emma -

I too got extractions and immediate dentures last year - both upper and full bottom. My dental assistant said to not use much adhesive while the gums were healing. (I had stitches, I don’t know if you do or not.) Your gums are inflamed right now and that changes throughout the day. And no matter how good the initial seal is, I’ve found that after eating it’s less secure than before. I’ve tried the powder adhesive - it starts off as powder and you sprinkle it over the dentures but then you spray it with water which turns it into regular adhesive. So I don’t know if it will help you or not. I had some luck with drying both the denture and my gums before applying the adhesive but nothing is going to give you 100% secure seal all day. Especially at the beginning. Mostly you’ll just have to experiment and see what works best for you.

The seabond stuff only really works when the denture doesn't fit well, it takes up the space between the ill fitting denture and the gum. You really shouldn't need it for a new denture.

One of the paste adhesives is probably as good as you'll get, but none of them really hold the denture that firmly, I'm afraid it's down to practice by the wearer.

Thank you all for your response. Do you think that the adhesives I’ve been using is what is causing me to be sick physically? I am wondering because of the open wounds on my gums from the extractions if the adhesive is getting into my blood stream and causing me to vomit and have that constant nauseous feeling. Today I decided not to use any adhesive. The denture is loose and falling down every now and the. But I don’t feel as sick as I have all week.

It could be, not because of stuff going into your bloodstream, the wounds are pretty well sealed by the clotting mechanism, but just from ingesting it. Also the denture flopping about at the back of your tongue could be triggering your gag reflex.

Gordon,
One more question and I promise to leave you alone lol I went into the dentist office yesterday and had them cut the back down. Now they are uneven lol like the left side is much thicker than the right and the left side is also longer than the right! Is this normal???

As for the different lengths, I assume they didn't cut them straight or something. It's odd if there's a difference in the thickness, but they are hand made items, you will get a bit of variation. Should be easy enough to fix if it's annoying you.

Hi Emma -

I too got extractions and immediate dentures last year - both upper and full bottom. My dental assistant said to not use much adhesive while the gums were healing. (I had stitches, I don’t know if you do or not.) Your gums are inflamed right now and that changes throughout the day. And no matter how good the initial seal is, I’ve found that after eating it’s less secure than before. I’ve tried the powder adhesive - it starts off as powder and you sprinkle it over the dentures but then you spray it with water which turns it into regular adhesive. So I don’t know if it will help you or not. I had some luck with drying both the denture and my gums before applying the adhesive but nothing is going to give you 100% secure seal all day. Especially at the beginning. Mostly you’ll just have to experiment and see what works best for you.
Hi, just throwing this in for thought. My dentist put adhesive in my temporary dentures immediately after extractions, Except not on on he immediate wound site. I was instructed to leave them in for the first 24 hours then take them out periodically to gently rinse and give my gums a break ... much to my relief.

Back