• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New dentures

B

Bailey01

Hi I’m 43 and not seen a dentist for 10 years because of being so scared , My teeth have become lose and have gaps in them they are a real mess , eventually I went yesterday and was really not expecting to be told I needed every teeth out because of my gums and bone I’m in total shock the dentist was lovely and said she can do the top first then the bottom .so has this happened to anyone before I’m scared people will know I have false teeth I’m worried about eating and speaking and i really hate the thought of having to take my teeth out to clean them ?Everyone I know have such good teeth I’m just devastated.

Hi Bailey01,

so sorry to read about the news you got. It must be devastating to finally pluck up the courage to see a dentist just to get such news :(
I don't have experience with dentures myself, but have worked in a dental practice for a while and let me reassure you: nobody has to know that you have false teeth. As I started to work in dentistry, a few of my friends started to talk openly about their dentures and I realized how common it is. When you judge teeth of others, be careful: you have no way of knowing. Good false teeth (as well as crowns and fillings) are supposed to look like real teeth, so there is no way of telling! Having said that, dentures are a possibility for you to finally be able to smile and eat and enjoy life.

With that being said, you may need a bit of a time to get used to them and to adjust. You can find some advice about it here:

Hope this gives you a bit of reassurance. It is ok to feel shocked and to need a bit of time to process the news and all the input, so if you can, give yourself the time and stay kind to yourself ? and feel free to vent and write here as much as you like, we are here to listen :grouphug:

Thanks so much this has really helped me ?I’m still struggling with the idea but I do think that is normal.I’m glad you said that about people not knowing about me having false teeth that is my main worry and I hope that when I get my teeth out and get the dentures in straight away I so hope they look real ??and I’m just really hoping in time that I will be able to get the all on 4 dental implants that’s all that is helping me at the moment.But thanks for your words they have helped more than you know ?

Back