• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Extractions & Partial Denture

B

BCMA

Good morning. I'm a new member here and looking for some feedback/guidance/support with a recent procedure. On Saturday I had two teeth extracted on my upper right side. That procedure, coupled with a previous extraction many years ago leaves me with no upper molars on either side.

Years ago I was given an upper partial that I chose to not wear (I felt very self conscious in my speech, which I thought was different and it made me gag) after a while and have come to rely on chewing primary on the right side, with the now removed missing molars. I was fitted for and received a new upper partial denture that I wore for the first 24 hours after the extractions (per dentist instructions) but when I went to put it back in this morning it was so bulky and uncomfortable and caused a lot of gagging.

Some of the discomfort I know if from the pressing against the extraction site, which is still healing so I decided not to wear it today.

My question to the group...anyone advice for adjusting to the denture? Is it feasible to chew, eat, and be content with no molars & no replacement denture???

Thanks,
The New Guy

Hi,

If you have all upper teeth other than the molars, I would put the denture in a drawer and forget about it, seriously.

You do not need it at all and there is NO problem cracking on with life with what is left. Personally, I would not have made a denture for you.

The problem is, that you could go to 10 dentists, get 11 opinions, and they would all be right.

Cheers

DrTeeth

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

If you are happy and can manage without using the dentures then don't bother with them. If you are having problems with eating, which I imagine you may be I would go back to the dentist they can do a lot of things to help with new dentures like shaving some of the plate of so that you don't gag. Also with new dentures you will get sore spots. This can be very painful but the dentist can file the plate where it is rubbing your gum and making it sore. This is almost instant relief, it can take a few trips to the dentist to get the teeth feeling comfortable. This is usual and the dentist expects you to go back for alteration.

The choice is yours, you decide what you want to do, it is your mouth and only you know how the denture feels. I hope you feel comfortable soon either with or without the dentures. I had a partial until I got a bridge, I needed to see the dentist three times for the sore spots and a bit of advice but I did get used to it and it became comfortable. Good Luck :)

Back