• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New filling pressure sensitive

O

Ottosmomma

Hi everyone, I’d love advice or experience with this. New filling inner side (tongue) molar back eight of my mouth, composite, dentist said it was a routine size/filling ie smallish, one surface. It does NOT hurt or have any sensitivity to sweets, cold, heat etc. that’s great, however, it is quite sensitive to pressure of chewing HARD food only. Ie. Crusty bread, not softer food at all. I haven’t tried seeds or nuts but I’m sure they would have the same reaction. The pain goes away quickly but kinda hurts up to my jaw bone. Is this a sign of pulp just recovering? Or is this a sign of failed bonding? I had the bite adjusted even though dentist said nothing to adjust he took off a tiny bit more just in case. I have certainly had fillings take weeks to heal if not months, so I’m ok with that, but I want to check in on the fact it -only- feels sensitive upon chewing. Thanks!

Deleted.. just me rambling some confusing stuff..

Last edited:
I didn’t see his reply, where is that?

I meant your previous thread here. It sounds to me like the same problem, apologies if it isn't.

Hi Ottosmomma,

this sounds very dental so sadly I can't help.. I saw Gordon already replied to your post in the Ask a dentist category.. I would be surprised if any user would have a better reply for you than a dentist with 40 years of experience.
Anyway, would it be an idea to have a chat about this with your dentist? I understand you would love to avoid doing the filling anew (and I would too if I were in your shoes), but maybe your dentist has some more ideas on this?

All the best wishes and keep us posted
I have discussed with my dentist. He didn’t see anything to do at this point as it’s been about a week, he didn’t say what we might do if the sensitivity does not go away

I posted elsewhere but this may be more a question for dentists. I have discussed this with my dentist, he didn’t say what the “next step” might be if the sentivitu doesn’t dissipate.

6 days ago- New filling inner side (tongue) molar back eight of my mouth, composite, dentist said it was a routine size/filling ie smallish, one surface. It does NOT hurt or have any sensitivity to sweets, cold, heat etc. that’s great, however, it is quite sensitive to pressure of chewing HARD food only. Ie. Crusty bread, not softer food at all. I haven’t tried seeds or nuts but I’m sure they would have the same reaction. The pain goes away quickly but kinda hurts up to my jaw bone. Is this a sign of pulp just recovering? Or is this a sign of failed bonding? I had the bite adjusted even though dentist said nothing to adjust he took off a tiny bit more just in case. I have certainly had fillings take weeks to heal if not months, so I’m ok with that, but I want to check in on the fact it -only- feels sensitive upon chewing. Thanks!

Sorry, I just realized it wasn't you who originally posted. Just forget what I wrote.. also now your question is in the Ask a dentist part so hopefully you get a reply soon.

Back