• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Here - 33 Petrified of the dentist.

D

dieselphle

Hello All,
I've been lurking for a little while and figured i'd say hello. I'm hoping this place will help me work up the strength to see a dentist. It's been almost 3 years but i've had an issue with my face for a few months and i think it's time i went. There is a constant clicking, static noise when i swallow, and there's lots of pressure in my inner ear, both sides. The heat pad feels awesome on it! My pcp says my Eustacian tubes need to be dried out. She gave me a nasal spray prescription and strong allergy meds. I do wear a night guard at night because i clench while i sleep. I also still have my wisdom teeth. I was lucky they came in straight and even! I've had fillings in the two on the bottom and the two on the top were "painted" when i was younger so they didn't need fillings. My concern is that they're now giving me trouble with my ears. Is this possible? There is no visible sweeling or discomfort when i'm eating. At my last Dentist visit, i had no issues, no cavities. I cannot even think about the dentist without my heart pounding, running to the bathroom, shaking, crying, feeling dizzy. After my first filling without novicaine (my dentist at the time said i wouldn't need it) i was seriously considering having all of my teeth pulled and getting dentures so i wouldn't have to deal with this ever again. I don't have a fear of needles. I have to get over this, because my husband and i are going to be trying to have a child soon, and i don't want to set a bad example, i don't want to think it's ok to avoid. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Hi. I totally understand your fear. I literally have my mom go to the dentist with me and I'm 34! I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest just thinking about going and it totally sends me into a panic attack.

My advice would be to do your research, ask around, and find a dentist who understands your fears. I have found that the more open I am about my fear, the nicer and gentler they are. Take someone with you who can drive you there if you're really worked up. And since you're not afraid of needles, let the dentist know you want to be totally numb during procedures. I'm not a dentist or dental expert in any way, but from what I understand they usually numb you up unless the cavity is really small. But if you let them know you want to be numb regardless, I don't think they'd have any problem with that. I had bad experiences at the dentist when I was younger as well, but you'd be surprised how much things have changed since those days! I've never had procedure as an adult that actually caused me any pain. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

The issue with your ears is 99% certain to be because of your bunged-up eustachian tubes - get that sorted first.

Meanwhile don't ever let any dentist tell you that you don't need novocaine, that's malpractice - make it abundantly clear that you get a local anaesthetic or you walk !

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I found a dentist office in my town and i drove by it and peered in the windows lol. They have laughing gas and anxiety pills as well, i just can't stand that stupid pick that my old dentist used. I'm assuming this is still normal practice for finding cavities? It's like seeing a bruise and poking it, "does that hurt" yes thanks ;( The pressure is still there and sometimes when i chew it aggrivates it. I can't wait for my ear nose and throat visit in April to see what's going on. I just hope to god it's not my wisdom teeth D: This sensation is distracting and annoying and i'd like to get back to my fitness quest and my illustration jobs. Most of my time is consumed by worrying and it's wearing me out. :shame:

Finally going to the ENT on Thursday, I really hope it's an ear issue, waiting for a whole month for an appointment hasn't been easy. I don't want to go to the dentist! I can feel a "popping" feeling behind my nose when i talk. It's really annoying. I was feeling better for a while but it came back this week. I "irritate it" when i clean my ears with a q-tip or open my mouth for too long. Also it bothers me when i reach down to pick something up off the floor. It's getting really old, the ibuprofen isn't helping anymore. It feels like double ear infection today. ;(

Back