• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Here and Terrified to the point of Crying ~ Please Help!

A

AnxiousAlice

Hello everyone,

First of all thank you for accepting me to this forum. I have been surfing the internet for gentle dentists for several weeks. In fact it is consuming my time and draining me of energy. In my internet searching, I came upon this forum and after reading many posts from many of you who share my fear and phobia of the Dentist, it appears that this is a safe place to find support. Hopefully I will overcome my fears and be supportive as well as needy in this regard.

What is ironic is that I am in the travel business and I have soothed, supported and help countless hands of fearful fliers, fear in elevators or various other fears, and I am compassionate and understanding even though I don't share many of those other fears. In real life I am a confident person.

BUT when it comes to going to a dentist, I suddenly become a frightened six year old child.

Like several others on this forum; as a child growing up, getting dental care consisted of getting a tooth pulled out once it was absessed and causing me a great deal of pain. By by early 20's I had six teeth extracted (not more than one at any given time, one root canal and one crown. By my 30's I had four more root canals, four more crowns, and one 4 tooth fixed bridge. In my 40's I acquired a good dental insurance policy and had all of my silver amalgam fillings replaced with white bonded fillings. In my 50's I had a toothache and went to the dentist for yet another crown. From then I went 10 years without seeing a dentist.

Three years ago I decided to go to the dentist to have minor repair on my two front teeth that hap chipped. I also had a much needed cleaning. Considering that my teeth have had so much work, my gums are in reasonably good shape.

Shortly after the minor repair and cleaning, I developed an abcess on the tooth immediately to the left of the left front tooth (#10 I believe is how the Dentist referred to it). The dentist referred me out to an endodontist who has good reviews to do a root canal. I have to tell you, I have had a lot of work and since much was done before newer technology, none of it was what I would call pleasant but not overly painful either. But this root canal on this tiny next to the front tooth was the most painful experience I have ever had in my life, including bearing two children.
The endodontist was not very patient and the novacaine shot kept wearing off and he had to keep injecting. More pain, more injections. I left there with a headache, worn out from pain and anxiety and $1,000.00 less in the bank.

About two or three months after that root canal, I developed a pimple in the upper gum in the general area of the tooth. I went back to the dentist (not the endodontist which I don't care to set foot in that office again). My dentist at the time, without bothering to xray or exam said it is "probably" the canine tooth next to the root canal tooth and he could root canal that one by drilling through the crown. The tooth he thought was causing the pimple
next to the root canal tooth is the front anchor to the four tooth bridge that I had done 30 years ago. Since I could not deal with another root canal, and if that bridge gave way, I would likely not have the money to replace it at that time.

So this past three years I have been keeping everything brushed, flossed, water pix, and holistic essential oils that have kept the infection under some control. The pimple comes and goes and when I push against it it will break and release infection, then seem relieved for a while. It can get a little uncomfortable but not really painful.

So here I am three years later, and another dental problem (in addition to the pimple on the gum that comes and goes). Now since I had all first and second year molars extracted when I was in my teens, my wisdom teeth grew in and are not impacted. In fact the lower left has a crown on it. The lower right was filled a while back and that tooth is now problematic. It appears that I have a cavity on that tooth at the gum line which is fairly large and food gets in it. The water pix helps with that to a degree but I have been getting an on and off tooth ache from that tooth.

So about three weeks ago I start surfing the internet for a "gentle" dentist in my area. I watched several videos on this latest waterlase technology where there are no drills and this painless water laser dentistry seems to be the most painless way to go. The problem is that even though the TV videos say this laser is being used for everything from root canals, extraction assistance, filling of cavities and cleanings, it seems that this machine is not being used by dentists in my area for all of these procedures. I don't really understand why because I have contacted several dentists by phone and although they have this equipment they only use it for gums and minor fillings. So sadly the laser dentistry seems not to be available for me.

When calling dentists, one receptionist was very sweet and compassionate and invited me in so the Dentist could just look at the wisdom tooth and try to answer my questions and calm my fears. I was not even charged for this, so I went shaking and panicky just at the thought of walking into the office.

I will say that the dentist and his assistant were very informative and accomodating and tried to put me at ease. He did an xray on the wisdom tooth and also one on the area where the pimple comes and goes and both areas are apparently infected. The good news is that he does not this that the tooth causing the pimple is the tooth anchoring the bridge, rather a failed root canal on that nightmare root canal tooth. Options of that tooth are 1. have the root canal redone and the tooth crowned. 2. Have the tooth extracted and either an implant which is very expensive, or a cantilever bridge which would involve crowns on the two front teeth which have no current problems but both have fillings from being chipped in the past.

As for the wisdom tooth it is recommended that the size of the cavity, the position of how far back the tooth is and the infection mean it should be extracted. This would mean I would have no bottom molars on the right bottom.

So I have an appointment on Tuesday for a full exam and full digital xrays and a cleaning on a special they are having. From there I will have to deal with the dental work and the costs. No dental insurance so this will be a drain on my savings. But that is not the big stressor for me.

In surfing the internet I have read all the horror stories, pain, dry sockets, nerve damage, my memory of that bad r
root canal three years ago. So I am beyond anxious, I would call it terrified and now I'm on the brink of tears.

My biggest fears:
The sound, smell, grinding and all that has to do with a drill.
The shot, not so much the shot but the thought of all this medication going into my body, side effects etc:
The length of time with my mouth open. I have some jaw clicking which is not painful normally but causes me worry in a dentists chair.

And to top it off:

I have BPPV which stands for Benign Proxymal Positional Vertigo. Terrible dizziness and loss of equalibrium happen suddenly and is especially brought on when my head is laid back flat. (I sleep propped on two pillows). Needless to say vibration of a dental drill, laying back flat and such can cause terrible vertigo, and when I loose my sense of balance and feel like falling the auto reaction is to reach out and grab anything for stability (hopefully not while a dentist has a drill or needle in his hand). So I fear having a vertigo attack in a dentists chair.

Second of all I have long suffered from generalized anxiety and panic disorder. Not of a specific fear, rather something that feels like horrible physical symptoms including rapid heartbeat, elevated blood pressure, trembling, sweating. I fear having a panic attack in the dentists chair.

I know I will be ok through xrays and a cleaning, but once we are talking anesthesia, drilling, extractions etc: I'm a basket case.

Also worry that the extraction will break and I think of a number of scary things that just add to my anxiety.

I have actually thought of seeing a psychiatrist on how to cope with these fears because all I can seem to think about as the dentist and my fears of up coming dental work.

Also I have chronic very stuffy nose and sinus issues and afrin nasal spray helps somewhat, but I worry about not being able to breathe through my nose and all the work going on my mouth seems suffocating.

As for anesthesia, I am looking at options.

I have so many fears about anesthesia alone.
IV sedation scares the wits out of me because I know there has to be risk in being put out. I imagine not being able to wake up, or wind up with brain damage. Crazy phobia I know but a real fear to me.

Nitrous Oxide people say they get tingly and feel weird which anything that makes me feel weird makes me feel panicky. Not sure I could deal with a mask on my face either.

Although numbing is necessary the needle and the numb feeling is unnerving. Also being fully aware make a long procedure seem forever.

Oral sedation or oral anti anxiety drugs may help but not sure about doses. And the fact that I take Ambien at night for sleep not sure how other drugs will mix with that.

So meanwhile I am worrying and obsessing and just wish I did not have to deal with any oth this. But I know that an ongoing infection can be trouble as well.

Any suggestions, or any support, compassion and encouragement would be very helpful.

Thanks so much in advance for your time and any help you can offer.

Alice

Hi Alice,

You've certainly come to the right place. You'll get lots of encouragement and virtual hand holding. :XXLhug:

On the laser -- my dentist uses one and it's not a panacea for all dental ills. I just had a root canal this past Wednesday on a broken tooth and he used it where it was of benefit to cut down the tooth. He also did some gum reshaping with it. One thing I know the laser can't do is remove old silver amalgam.

What a successful dental experience really boils down to is finding the right dentist. Don't be afraid to take control of your own health and ask a lot of questions when you have your appointment. If you aren't comfortable then keep shopping for an office that makes you feel okay. Remember, they are providing YOU with a service. If you don't like the service they are offering you can vote with your feet.

BH

Hi Alice :welcome: I understand how you feel. The dentist that you have seen sounds really caring and understanding. If you think you could work with this dentist I would go for the rct redoing, he must think it will be a success to suggest it. Ask what he would do and what does he advice you to do. If you decide to do the re-rct don't let them touch you unless you feel really numb, they can do these pain free. If there is infection present would you be better having some antibiotic before works starts on the tooth. I had a rct recently and there was very little drilling most of the work was done by hand which I was pleased about as I hate the drill, and everything that goes with it.

If you have the wisdom tooth (which I have renamed, they are now known as the dums, because they serve no real purpose and cause us problems) extracted, could the dentist make you a false tooth or teeth for this side at the bottom. I don't know how bottom false teeth work or how they are held in but your dentist would be able to tell you.

I am as scared and nervous as you are, and a good understanding, considerate and gentle dentist helps a lot, the one you have seen sounds all of these, explain to him if you haven't already what frightens you and why, and he sounds as if he can address all your concerns. The trust formed with a good dentist is the difference between being able to go and avoiding as you know.

From what you have said about the dentist you have seen I feel that you are able to trust him and I am sure any treatment you need doing will be pain free. Before any work starts arrange a stop signal with him, so that if you need a rest he can stop and give you a few minutes, I think we all fear being rushed and losing control, arranging this with him gives you the control.

I wish you good luck and I would like to know how you get on and what you decide to do. I hope you stay around and if you need more support we can do that in bucket loads :butterfly:

Last edited:
Hello and :welcome:. This is certainly the right place for support Alice and I have compassion by the bucket load if you need it. Good advise has been given by BH and Carole. I totally understand how the younger child comes out and expresses the fears. i have to keep telling myself that I am now the adult and I am in charge. Its a constant battle, it is maybe advisable to have someone go with you because its often hard to take in all the info thats thrown at you. Just by being here you have made the decision to take control of your health so you are on your way my dear..well done for that :star:. Alice I can only have treatment using IV sedation, i cant do it any other way. You mention being afraid of not waking up, well you are not actually 'put out' you are just very relaxed and dont really know whats happening, when its over you feel like you must have been asleep because you cant remember anything. Its the only thing that works for me. I can just about cope with examination and x-rays, but i still cry through this! Remember you are in charge, you are in control and ultimately you want to get the problem sorted. Hugs coming you way hunni :there-there::there-there::there-there:

:welcome:Alice! I think that the others have really said it all, but wanted to add one more encouraging note. Glad you came here for support. Wishing all he best. Please keep us updated on how things are going.

Welcome! You have come to the right place for encouragement and support! Wishing you good luck, and we are all here for you! :thumbsup:

Hello Alice and :welcome:
I can't say much more than has already been said but I will second what Carol said: Find a dentist you can trust and younwill be fine. That is what I have just done and my fear is mostly gone already. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I have an appointment on Tuesday, and I am stressing over just going even though this appontment is for a complete check up, digital xrays and cleaning as well as a consultation on all the work that needs to be done.

I do know that the first work to be done will be the extraction of that wisdom tooth and that will need to be soon. I will post on my progress. Sometimes it helps to reach out and talk about it, so I am grateful for this forum. I have some questions to ask and will do that on the Questions sections.

Alice

When you say Tuesday do you mean the 3rd July or next week. Good on you for making the appointment, is it with the same dentist, he sounded really nice and tried to put you at ease, I think you could trust him as he sounds as if he cares.

Good luck with your appointment and let us know how you get on please when you feel up to it. :butterfly:

Thanks Carole,

I will keep everyone posted as I progress on this journey. The appointment is tomorrow July 3rd.

I think they will be doing full mouth digital XRays and going over what needs to be done. His special includes a cleaning but don't know if they plan to do that or not.

The wisdom tooth extraction is likely the first thing to get done from there. VERY stressed over that, but not too bad about just going for the check up and possible cleaning tomorrow.

I do believe this is a caring dentist. AS I said in my original post, his receptionist was very sweet and caring and put my mind at ease from the start. Then when I went to have the wisdom tooth looked at the Dentist did it free of charge and both he and his dental assistant were very caring. Everyone in the office receptionist, dentist and assistant took a lot of time answering questions. I was also impressed that the dentist discussed some possible options (although the full exam will not be until tomorrow).

Even so he had suggested the least expensive fix for the failed root canal on the tooth next to the front, and options for replacement from a flipper to the least expensive to a cantilever bridge, or an implant and general cost comparisons. But first things first. The full exam and then tackle the wisdom tooth because if the infection gets bad, it could quickly become problematic.

Well wish me luck tomorrow. Will report in and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this forum as a place to express my fears and concerns.

Alice

Good luck with appointment Alice:clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:

Well I had my appointment yesterday afternoon. I too a dramamine to help avoid vertigo and then 2 0.25 xanax to help with anxiety.

I was still pretty anxious, but I had a full mouth of digital xrays, and intra oral camera photos of the teeth, cancer screening exam.

No cancer is good news. The xrays show the lower left wisdom tooth will need to be extracted which we were pretty sure that was going to be the case. The tooth just next to the front tooth was suspected to have caused an infection, however now it is possible that it's the canine tooth that is the anchr to a four tooth bridge. More bad news is that there is a cavity on the back tooth that is the other anochor to that same bridge meaning that bridge will need to be removed. This is a big stressor for me because that means extensive work but also very expensive work that I doubtfully can afford right now. I am not having any pain from the area right now but there is a present infection.

So next step is a referral trip to an endodontist to determine what tooth is likely causing the infection the one nect to the front tooth that had a root canal and possibly failed, or the canine tooth next to it anchoring that bridge. Then it is back to the dentist to go over results of all yesterday's tests and a treatment plan.

Needless to say this appoint left me overwhelmed.

The good parts of the appointment are as follows:

Last week I have a free brief exam and followed by thorough exam yesterday. I have found that everyone in the office is very nice and very understandng and acomodating and are doing everything to keep me comfortable. A pillow, blanket, lowering the chair in slow and small increments to help avoid a vertigo attack and very encouraging. Also the dentist is very thorough which is a Plus. He is making every effort to be sure the right tooth is the one that will be worked on. He also have given me a lot of possible options for restoration from least to most expensive and the pros and cons in the long fun. No pushy sales pitches at all.

Next I moved to the chair in another office for a cleaning. And although I do not get cleanings often, (the last was over three years ago), I honestly found this one to be VERY pleasant and relaxing. I have to say the cleaning was more pleasant and replacing that getting a pedicure. The hygenist was an absolutely delightful. She talked to me through the entire process and I walked out feeling as if I had made a new friend.

From the receptionist, to the dentist, the dental assistant and the hygenist I felt like they interacted like a very professional team and treated me like a friend or family member rather than just a client.

After the endodontist consultation, I will be returning to go over with my dentist all that will need to be done. The extraction will follow as the first actual procedure to be done because it is just a matter of time before it becomes a painfull abcess. Meanwhile I will be keeping everything as clean as possible and following good hygene advice.

Although the experience was tolerable and went well, and the cleaning actually pleasant, I know there is work ahead that worrys me a lot. I know it has to be done and the dentist suggested taking it baby steps one step at a time because of my snxiety, the amount of work, and of course the costs involved; which with no dental insurance will be all out of pocket.

Meanwhile I will keep everyone posted about the progress of my journey and reall appreciate all the encouragement I can get.

Alice

wow, sorry to hear about all the things u have to go through, I'm also an extreme dental and needle phobic and I hope these things went well for u and good luck:)

Hey Alice your a :star:. The dental practice sounds great, so very attentive to your needs. So a huge well done for this first part, and as the dentist said take it at your own pace, no rushing. :respect::respect::respect:

Whatever else you do, KEEP THIS DENTIST what a lovely dental practice and the dentist himself, what a lovely man he sounds to be. I have a 4 tooth bridge and it has been niggling for some time now, so I will be following your thread with great interest, I thought I was so clever and brave when I had it put in, but I didn't think about the time it might need re doing or getting off. So like you I am a bit worried about this, I may find out myself later this month what is to happen, we can do this together, first one tells.

I wish you luck
:clover::clover::clover: although I don't think you need it your dentist sounds lovely, send him over here. :respect:

All the best :butterfly:

AnxiousAlice,

Congrats on getting through the first appt! I think, for me, it's always helpful to take things one step at a time instead of thinking about all of the things that might happen in the future -- WAY EASIER SAID THAN DONE (I know). If you can focus on 1 appt at a time you may find yourself feeling a bit less overwhelmed and anxious. You will get through whatever it is you have to do, but you don't have to think about all of it now.

and carole -- no stealing our good US dentists! ;)

I agree. I have WEEKLY appointments for the next two months until I'm done but I'm just concentrating on one at a time. Otherwise, it seems too overwhelming.

AnxiousAlice,

Congrats on getting through the first appt! I think, for me, it's always helpful to take things one step at a time instead of thinking about all of the things that might happen in the future -- WAY EASIER SAID THAN DONE (I know). If you can focus on 1 appt at a time you may find yourself feeling a bit less overwhelmed and anxious. You will get through whatever it is you have to do, but you don't have to think about all of it now.

AnxiousAlice,

The way I am at the moment I am thinking of kidnapping a dentist and keeping them in my cellar :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: until my mouth is fixed, I have seen 5 different dentists and about 3 different doctors in the last 2.5 years and still my mouth is broken. :butterfly:

Back