• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here, emergency dental this evening

L

Little Engine

I have a cracked crown on a front tooth that needs to be seen by an emergency dentist tonight. I would so appreciate any crossed fingers or positive thoughts anyone could spare!

I'm incredibly dental phobic, and I'm returning to the dentist who originally created these crowns for me ~9 years ago (among plenty of other work, under IV sedation) and I'm just hoping to get through it without a full-blown panic attack.

Will try to update once I get back tonight to let you know how it went. I have been avoiding preventative care because of dental anxiety, and now it's coming back to bite me. :shame:

Hoping everything goes very well for you. If you don't have time for an oral sedative request some nitrous. It will help relax you. Hope they get you fixed up.

Well, the panic attack I was most concerned about could not be avoided. I was forced to sit and wait in the lobby for an hour while they figured out my insurance, and even though I had taken a Xanax prior, I could feel the anxiety building. I started freaking out, crying and gasping for breath, considered bolting, and had to run back out to my vehicle to get in another Xanax. That really sucked.

They were super sweet when they finally came to get me and let me be in control, gave me time for the second Xanax to start working, and then gave me nitrous so they could do a temporary repair on the crown.

I'll be returning with oral sedation to have this one removed, have an impression taken and put in a temporary while my new crown is being made. Then a final appointment for that to be fitted, and maybe a cleaning at that time.

The nitrous was amazingly helpful. I even had to fight back the giggles a few times!

So glad you made it through. :jump: and that the nitrous helped you. Hopefully next time will be a little easier for you. Good job.

I'm glad all went well for you

Back