• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here, question re: crowns bonded together

A

autumn75

Hello...I have a premolar that was weakened from many fillings and broke almost in half (exactly 1 week before my appointment for a cleaning). It broke off just below the gum line. I have had zero pain with it (except for emotional pain).

My dentist recommended extracting it and a partial (but then I would need crowns on the anchor teeth)....or doing a root canal, post & core, and then a crown. After debating on what I could actually afford and would be the best option, I called with a list of questions. His end recommendations are to do the root canal, p&c, and crown - but also said he would put a crown on the canine tooth in front of the premolar (free of charge), and have the two crowns bonded together for more support. Behind the broken premolar is a regular molar, as the other premolar had already been removed - so a crown on that molar is not an option as it's not close enough.

Does this sound right? Two crowns bonded together for more support? Will it actually be strong enough to chew and grind food? Its my "chewing side", as I'm missing both premolars on the other side.

I hate teeth. ? Years of childhood neglect of my teeth (4 molars extracted before I knew what molars were or that I would never grow new ones) have resulted in my anxiety and spending a fortune trying to keep what teeth I have left (22 teeth to be exact). So much for family vacations....sorry kids, no Disney for you - mom needs to fix her teeth. ?

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

If after seeing you and discussing this with you the treatment the dentist has advised you to have is the best way to go. What he/she is suggesting is possible and would be better than a partial denture :butterfly:

Back