• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New to forum

M

MelJJ

Hi,

I'm terrified of dentists and haven't been for many many years. I have lost a few teeth over the years but I now need all my teeth pulled and will need dentures. I have spent the last two months researching dentists - and of course no dentists are taking on NHS patients. I have spoken to my GP after reading about the SCDS and thought he would refer me to them but he said not to be surprised if it is declined (although dental phobia is one of their criteria) because dentists are geared up for anxious patients. I have since found out he has referred me to the Oral and Maxillofacial service instead. Would this be the correct route to take?

Thank you for any comments.

Hi,

With how things are at the moment, it sounds like that would be the best starting point to be honest, they will probably see you quicker than waiting on an NHS practice.

However, some nhs dentists are still taking on patients but I think that varies from area to area, but they won't see anyone purely for routine check up and non urgent treatments. Have you tried the NHS choices website to see if there's anywhere locally that might be able to see you?

Are you certain you'd need them all removing or is it a possibility that with a good dentist who you feel safe and comfortable with, that they might be able to save them?

Hi,

With how things are at the moment, it sounds like that would be the best starting point to be honest, they will probably see you quicker than waiting on an NHS practice.

However, some nhs dentists are still taking on patients but I think that varies from area to area, but they won't see anyone purely for routine check up and non urgent treatments. Have you tried the NHS choices website to see if there's anywhere locally that might be able to see you?

Are you certain you'd need them all removing or is it a possibility that with a good dentist who you feel safe and comfortable with, that they might be able to save them?

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have contacted at least 15 dentists in my area - funny how they are taking on private patients now though !

I'm certain they will all need removing. I'm so confused about the route I should be taking because I have also been reading up about periodontitis (my gums are not red or swollen but definitely receding).

Have you tried bupa essentials? That's a middle road between private and nhs but I'm unsure if all bupa surgeries offer the plan or if its just certain ones.

I have been having a bit of dental trouble and like my other half says, its amazing how much more is available to you in terms of options if you're prepared to pay privately! Sad but true isn't it.

Have you pain in your teeth? My mother in law has receding gums and she is very phobic of the dentist. She found a really good private dentist who did a really good clean, then she returned a few months later and had it repeated, between that and a different toothpaste, electric brush etc her gums are much better.

I'm not an expert but I wonder if anything like that might help in a short term? If you're getting pain, are the NHS still using the emergency treatment centres?

Luckily I am not in any pain - I think my teeth are well past that now :)

I am looking into all sort of options at the moment. Re Bupa essentials, do you know if you can get this even when in the position of needing immediate work? I've emailed one dentist about that but haven't had a reply yet. I've seen some plans where you can't have any problems before signing up (Denplan I think that one was).

I think at the moment I am just really concerned I am not on the right route to try and get this sorted.

Bupa essentials is sort of an "in between". So you pay more for a check up than on NHS but you can access some private treatments, but not all. If you Google bupa essentials there is a link you can search for your local practice. I know our local one doesn't offer essentials, only nhs or private but you can mix and match if you want certain things such as white fillings or something.

I really hope you manage to sort something soon. If you're anything like me, it really adds to my anxiety when I dont have a clear plan of what needs to be done, when, by who etc.

Back