• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

new to this forum

S

supersam

Hello all, I'm new and so glad I found others with the same fear as me of dentists! I haven't been to the dentist is easily 15 years! (YIKES I know!) I was fine and teeth were good, two pregnancies later and my teeth have paid for it for sure! I have two root canals in the front, this began my fear of dentists! Well one fell out about 4 1/2 years ago, and of course it was a front tooth, so I became extremely self conscious and do not smile and careful when I talk so its not noticeable. Fast forward to now, my wisdom teeth are breaking here and there, my other front root canal is now loose, meaning I will have two top front teeth gone if I don't take care of them! So obviously I have to go to a dentist, I have finally contacted a few and found one that works with those with anxiety and will be hopefully going the end of February (have to wait until I have the extra money to even think about any dental work) I am excited and hopeful to be able to smile and speak again, but even thinking about it I am sweating like crazy and shaking like crazy. I want to be able to just go in and be relieved and happy when I see myself in the mirror again, but the though of the what ifs and judgement and how bad it could possibly be scares the hell out of me. So frustrating! I wish I could be ok just to go to the dentist and not have these types of emotions to go with it. I am actually excited to go and get things fixed and taken care of but now I have over a month until then so that anxiety will be building over these days coming, yikes! :confused:

Hello all, I'm new and so glad I found others with the same fear as me of dentists! I haven't been to the dentist is easily 15 years! (YIKES I know!) I was fine and teeth were good, two pregnancies later and my teeth have paid for it for sure! I have two root canals in the front, this began my fear of dentists! Well one fell out about 4 1/2 years ago, and of course it was a front tooth, so I became extremely self conscious and do not smile and careful when I talk so its not noticeable. Fast forward to now, my wisdom teeth are breaking here and there, my other front root canal is now loose, meaning I will have two top front teeth gone if I don't take care of them! So obviously I have to go to a dentist, I have finally contacted a few and found one that works with those with anxiety and will be hopefully going the end of February (have to wait until I have the extra money to even think about any dental work) I am excited and hopeful to be able to smile and speak again, but even thinking about it I am sweating like crazy and shaking like crazy. I want to be able to just go in and be relieved and happy when I see myself in the mirror again, but the though of the what ifs and judgement and how bad it could possibly be scares the hell out of me. So frustrating! I wish I could be ok just to go to the dentist and not have these types of emotions to go with it. I am actually excited to go and get things fixed and taken care of but now I have over a month until then so that anxiety will be building over these days coming, yikes! :confused:

See my post on dentures. I totally get your anxiety. Because of fear I let my teeth go and now I am paying for I.T. Don’t know what upsets me more... all the procedures I’ll need or the fact I don’t have the money to do this all right now.

HI Supersam,

Congratulations on taking that first step towards a new smile, and sorting out any problems that have arisen in 15 years. Don't worry, there are people here who have gone MUCH MUCH longer than 15 years without seeing a dentist. Its a huge step, when you have fear, but your desire for improving your confidence and being able to smile will help you overcome the fear, tiny step by tiny step. Being 'excited and hopeful' is a great way to feel, even though its tinged with the anxiety - which will of course be in your mind for the next few weeks. Your dentist, Im sure, especially if they are good with anxious patients, won't show judgement - thats not their business to do so - their business is to help you to have a strong healthy mouth. Besides, they will have 'seen it all before' many many times! The important thing is that you have made a decision and are committed to it. Hang around here, there is so much help and you will see you are not alone ;D

Back