• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

new to this site and have a question getting temporary dentures .

B

bhens42

I am getting all my teeth pulled and some cut out that have busted off and getting temporary dentures on october 11th and had the impression made picked the color i wanted but the dentist did not ask me what style of teeth i wanted and that scares me since i have not been able to smile in a long time. I dont know what the style of them is going to be like since he did not show me any pictures he said they would not be anything spectacular since i have to get permanent dentures once my mouth has healed. If anyone had the same issue and can tell me what there temporarys were like i would greatly appreciate it.

Hi and welcome to the forum. When I had my immediates or temp dentures done roughly a month ago. My procedure may be a little different that what you have experienced. After my first initial appointment for xrays and what not, I had my second appointment and made my impressions. Then a week later I went back to the Dentist for my wax try in fitting. This was just basically wax blocks of my gums with no teeth. My Dentist used this to mark the centerline and other specific measurements. I then choose my color. A week later I returned to the Dentist and had another fitting with the wax gums but this time they had teeth as well. My Dentist had me try them out. Made more measurements and asked me if I thought they looked ok. I told him yes.

So I would recommend asking your Dentist about wax try ins. It had been quite a few years since I had had enough teeth to smile so I was a little worried about how the new teeth would look. By doing the wax try in I was able to see what my new dentures would look like before they were made so if changes needed to be done they could. This worked out well for me.

This may not be standard practice. My Dentist told me that my temps will also be my perms so maybe that is why they took the extra steps with me.

So far the dentures have been an adjustment. The actual extractions were no problem and pain free.
The first few weeks go by pretty quick. Plan on making a few trips back to the Dentist to have adjustments made as you will develop sore spots. As you heal and your gums shrink the dentures will loosen up. At about 3 weeks or so you will probably have a soft reline. This will tighten the dentures back up. I just had mine a few days ago. It helped a lot and made the dentures feel more solid in my mouth.

Good luck. If I can help let me know.

Back