• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New video: the uncertainty factor

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Dear all,

You are invited to watch and comment on my new video called "the uncertainty factor". The threads I read over the years inspired this video.

Hope you like it.

This is great! I especially needed to hear the part about finding your motivation. I have been so depressed and anxious with all the work I have had to have done.

This is well done!

The part about putting off with a bad dentist just because it’s familiar is very true.

One thing I always wanted to ask: the guy playing the „bad dentist“, is he a dentist or just a feiend or an actor?

I agree with the rest, very well done, answers several concerns in a very easy way to understand! Thanks Dr Daniel!

The part about putting off with a bad dentist just because it’s familiar is very true.

One thing I always wanted to ask: the guy playing the „bad dentist“, is he a dentist or just a feiend or an actor?
He is actually the camera-man

I am not a phobic patient or even particularly nervous, but I get really anxious when I don’t know what’s going on. That part of the video really resonated for me.

My dentist narrates every part of the process to me, and also gives time checks “this will feel like X, and will take Y time, another Z minutes and that’s us”, and I find it really helps. I know other people might prefer blissful ignorance, but she knows that for me it gives me a sense of (this sounds weird, I know) having some control. I had to see an endodontist last year, and while he was excellent and did a great job, he refused to do this when I asked at the initial consultation, saying he thought it would make me more anxious. I was super-anxious about seeing a new person, which made it worse. He was really kind, and kept checking in that I was okay, saying I was doing well, but I felt cross that he wouldn’t work with what I knew would help me. (Especially given the massive price I was paying!)

Interestingly, when I also had a head MRI last year due to atypical facial pain, I was really, properly scared and nervous. The radiographer did this automatically, without me asking, even when I was actually in the machine.

Back